This has been going on since I bought the 2970wx at the start of this year. Windows 10 randomly, even with light use like surfing the web the system randomly slows/shudders then freezes (videos become like a slide show) and within 30 seconds I can move the mouse but can’t interact with anything. Sometimes I can press the start>restart other times I have to do a hard reset. I once left it in this slow state for an hour to see what would happen, but Windows didn’t BSOD. This problem could happen 5 times a day or once in 2 months. I use a program called CAESAR-Lisflood. A simulation takes 5 days to complete but when this freeze occurs. I have to restart the PC and start from scratch.
Lately I have been running the same simulation in both my Threadripper system and my old 6900k so if Threadripper freezes the slower 6900k can complete.
MSI x399 MEG
2xGskill F4 3000 C14D 32GTZR
Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB NVMe
Windows 10 Pro
I’ve tried so far;
- Temps are OK when stressed - CPU: 64c /MOS: 46c /NVME: 39c
- Upgrading Windows to the latest version
- Reinstalling Windows
- Resetting the bios
- Updating to latest bios
- Switched ram kits – I used with my 6900k never any problems
- Switched PSU - used with my 6900k
- Switched Graphics cards
- Switched the NVME drive- used with my 6900k
- Disabling Overclocking> IMMOU
- Changed Power Options> PCI Express>Link State power Management> Setting: “Off”
I’m out of ideas on what it could be. I would be grateful for any suggestions or recommendations.
I heard using two monitoring programs can cause this, and it’s a microcode problem with the Ryzen architecture. I’m really tempted to sell the CPU and motherboard and buy the upcoming i9-10980XE
*Sorry for any grammar mistakes