Slow HDD in Laptop ODD slot [Solved]

I'm having some issues with an HDD that is inside the ODD bay of my laptop.

I got a SSD (Intel 520, 120GB) for my laptop (Lenovo G510, i7-4700MQ, 8GB RAM), and replaced the main HDD inside (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152291) with it. I installed Windows 8.1 onto the SSD with no other drives plugged in, then proceed to reinstall the HDD. But when I got the HDD to work (there were some issues before), for some reason, the HDD was reading extremely slow, and actually coming up with errors... at this point I'm almost exhausted of ideas, and I'm running a full format of the drive. But I don't even know if that will do anything.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening and potential fixes? My old 250GB drive (also 5400 RPM) runs just fine, reads and writes just fine, but for some reason the 1TB drive is not doing so hot.

Sorry if this is unreadable, I've been at it for more than 8 hours.

make sure your chipset driver and other drivers are updated and it is also possible that your sata connector for the odd bay is sata 2 so it would be a max of 3gb/s. i hope that this is of some help

How is the HDD when plugged into a desktop? Perhaps it got damaged somehow.

@offroadslayer88 Yeah, that's one of the things I haven't fully tested, the drivers were loaded on the HDD and I wasn't able to install properly, I will try that after the formats though. I don't think the Sata 2 interface would impact performance to the point it is unusable?

@deejeta It's perfectly normal when plugged into the desktop through a USB 2.0 dongle. It acts like what am HDD should do.

thats why i mentioned it possibly being sata2

I'm sorry, I didn't put enough detail into it. I know that the interface is SATA 2 (I did the testing beforehand). And on that same plug, the 250GB HDD did perfectly fine. But the 1TB HDD was unresponsive and throwing errors all over the place (like loading images as if corrupt, but on the USB dongle the same files were fine). These symptoms don't seem like they come from the interface downgrade.

Correct me if I'm wrong there, anything is possible at this point.

My only real input at this point then would be get your chipset drivers installed and everything should work out. Thats the only thing that comes to my mind anyway, maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

Well then, turns out the drivers that Windows 8.1 felt like grabbing were bad? Solved now.

Thanks @deejeta @offroadslayer88

1 Like