Slow FreeNAS SMB read speeds (RAID-Z2)

Hi, ronclark. Thanks for your response. :slight_smile:

This is the output of ā€œsas2flash -listā€:

and dmesg (yes, the firmware is somewhat older):

I did notice these weird warning messages from dmesg. Are they of any importance to my current predicament?

Firmware: Could a firmware/driver mismatch REALLY cause such issues?
To upgrade the firmware I found this guide:

Obviously I would replace the 9211-8i files with the appropriate 9207-8i files from the official Broadcom page. Seeing as the guide is for UEFI and my FreeNASā€™ motherboard does not support it, I was thinking about sticking the HBA in my Windows machine and using the created USB to flash the card to P20. There would still be a mismatch though (FreeNAS driver version: 21; HBA firmware version: 20) but at least it would be up-to-date.

The warnings from dmesg are ACPI firmware, thatā€™s not likely related.

The HBA firmware being vastly different from the driver version is a bit more alarming. 20 vs 21 not a big deal, 7 vs 21 yikes.

2 Likes

I would definitely upgrade the firmware to the latest firmware.
it can done inside BSD and Linux. I did mine on old system booted into freeDOS since i had problems with a UEFI system. I just could not figure it out.
I think the YouTube channel the ArtofServer has some info on how he flashes hba card.
I would be interested in hearing if that fixed your problem or not.

Itā€™s 15 (hba firmware) vs 21(freebsd driver). Not 7 vs 21.

Oh yep looked at the wrong line, I knew that seemed pretty extreme :smiley:
15 vs 21 still is quite a gap though.

I asked the guy responsible for SMB in FreeNAS and he said

The issue requiring those auxiliary parameters is mostly fixed. If heā€™s doing mostly sequential workload he may be better off setting aio read size = 0 . Try Beta1 to see if performance is better.

I donā€™t know much about samba myself to tell you how to set that aio read size setting, but thereā€™s probably a samba options thing in FreeNAS somewhere Iā€™d guess.

No idea if this will help or not but Iā€™m also running FreeNAS with RaidZ2 and for the life of me couldnā€™t figure out why SMB was slower in one direction. After trying to isolate it for a LONG time, I discovered there is a bug in Windows 10 after/including 1809. Made the following key in my registry and SUDDENLY no bottleneck. I realize this post is about 10Gbe and this might not help but:

Regedit

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

add

DirectoryCacheLifetime Dword=0

Good luck!

I ran across this and thought it was interesting, it might be helpful

https://www.omelsoft.com/fix-slow-internet-windows-10-creators-update/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/netgeeks/a-word-about-autotuninglevel-tcp-receive-auto-tuning-level-explained