Slow Caviar Black 500GB

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10892189/FCT.png[/img][img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10892189/HDTune_Benchmark_WDC_WD5001AALS-00L3B.png[/img]

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10892189/WinTransfer.jpg[/img]

Something's not right. I have AHCI enabled. But, My Windows installation was from before I had it enabled. Anyone else run into this problem? A friend of mine gets 130 MB/s with the same model.

I get about 100mb/s when transfering big files like that to my 500gb BLACK drive. I don't have windows on it tho, only files.

I think Wendell is a harddrive-guru of some sort, I'll see if I can have him take a look at this thread ^^

GreenSLi said:

I get about 100mb/s when transfering big files like that to my 500gb BLACK drive. I don't have windows on it tho, only files.

I think Wendell is a harddrive-guru of some sort, I'll see if I can have him take a look at this thread ^^

Are you sure there is something wrong? I don't know how much faster the black drives are from the blue, but my blue drive gets about 15MB/s max (writing and reading on the same HDD), so 25MB/s looks pretty good to me.

I am a bit of a hard drive noob though :|

Boov said:

Are you sure there is something wrong? I don't know how much faster the black drives are from the blue, but my blue drive gets about 15MB/s max (writing and reading on the same HDD), so 25MB/s looks pretty good to me.

I am a bit of a hard drive noob though :|

Well, the first picture is from a hardware review website and theirs goes over twice as fast as mine.

Also, I don't have windows on the Black drive either. I have an oldish 80GB hard drive as my system drive. I install programs and store files on the Black.

well, if you are transferring from your older drive to your faster one the files can only write on the new drive as fast as the older one can read/transfer, is the older one IDE?

^What GigaBuster said.

If you're using an old 80GB hard drive, file transfers from one drive to another will be slow no matter what.

Because if you're writing to your black drive, it can only write at the speed that the 80GB HDD can read.

And vica versa.

What speeds do you get when you both read and write at the same time on the WD black?

I have two caviar blacks in RAID 0 and I was actually running into a similar problem. I don't remember how fast data was transferring, but it wasn't as fast as I expected. I was just installing programs though, so I realized that my Blu-ray/dvd burner as well as my internet connection were probably slowing down the installations, because my computer boots and loads programs really fast with the RAID 0 configuration, but it can only write as fast as something else can read the information.

Boov said:

^What GigaBuster said.

If you're using an old 80GB hard drive, file transfers from one drive to another will be slow no matter what.

Because if you're writing to your black drive, it can only write at the speed that the 80GB HDD can read.

And vica versa.

What speeds do you get when you both read and write at the same time on the WD black?

I'm moving files from one partition on the Black to another partition on the same drive. The only thing I keep on my 80GB is Windows.

I dont see the problem, the HD tune screen shows an average transfer rate of 66.4 MB/s. As for the bottom screen, well I'm no HDD expert but if its reading and writing simultaneously it seems to make sense that the transfer rate would be about %50.

I agree with wooly, 25MB/s for reading and writing simultaneously is completely normal.