Sleep suddenly missing from Windows 10

Used to be able to sleep and wake (on lan, even). Now, sleep is nowhere to be found. Only things I did that I can think of was install the Asus AI suite for my board, reinstall nvidia GFE and drivers, and Windows update. No uefi changes. No idea how long it’s been missing, either.

Searching just turns up more people with problems. The solutions offered have to do with digging in the gui power options; I have not explored powershell commands for this yet.

imageimageimageimage

1 Like

If I had to take a wild guess, the “Shutdown” is the new “Sleep”.

1 Like

I just checked two win 10s and they still have the sleep option, looks like the older power settings has been hidden though.

try this links second half maybe?

Edit: This old power menu, i didnt see a link to it. looks like they are removing it

1 Like

I wonder if you installed classic shell if it would be there.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Got it. Clean reinstalled nvidia drivers and it came right back.

@kenkoda those links were helpful and suggested it was a video driver issue. I also kind of had a hunch. Nonetheless, thanks, marking your post as the answer.

Edit: Nevermind. See below.

Nvidia’s drivers did weird things when I had a 1070, including not loading the color profile 1/3 of the time and making text in some applications uncorrectably bold. It was very odd.

Haah what the heck. How do Nvidia drivers mess with those option?! I’m glad it’s fixed. Now I can laugh and not feel bad.

Weird.

1 Like

Interesting you should ask… The plot thickens.
I have two nvidia (both gtx) cards, and the system is very unstable with both cards enabled. I disabled one (the one in slot 0) in device manager, which affords me stability, but loses the sleep function. When I reinstalled the drivers, it re-enabled the card, again allowing sleep. If I disable and re-enable without messing with the drivers, the ability to sleep will follow suit.
So 2 cards = instability + sleep.
1 card = stable, no sleep.

Overall, it’s technically unsolved; however, I don’t really see a point in pursuing another solution at this point in time as it’s essentially out of my control.