Skyrim

I actually never said anything about skill affecting the randomness.

Everyone gets lucky occasionally, and perhaps everyone gets unlucky some of the time. So on that note, if you wanted to add critical failures at a constant 5%...fair enough...that could be interesting as well.

But luck and skill are two different things.

You don't roll a natural 20 by being 'skilled'.

As far as basing that randomness on skill: Is the opponent only more powerful 20% of the time, or all the time?

As far as the old TES stat system? With luck as a stat....that might not be a bad idea. Base crit strike and crit failure on your luck stat...

But again, Luck != Skill.

Jokes on you, it was already announced!

you guys and your skyrim, I'm still on the best RPG ever made. KoTOR II lol:

But more seriously I just haven't felt like reinstalling and setting up my skyrim lately. Last time I did though twas like this:

I've probably dumped 400+ hours into my xbox copy of skyrim, was before I was really into PC's and now, i've got like another hundred or so on the PC version. Cool game and all, for some reason doesnt have that feel KoTOR does but good game nonetheless.
I keep breaking my modded skyrim though lol, not about to switch to SE ever though so.

SE installs separately so you can install Enderal on one version and have a normal version at the same time. I did enjoy enderal.

I wanted to try this for awhile now... But I have so much more things to do in the vanilla version before I start delving in content mods...
Anyone knows what's up with Skywind? Have they given up?

They are quite different games. What does Skyrim lack comared to KoToR? What keeps you going back to one but not the other?

KoToR is more of a RPG Strategy Game where you can pause and have 3rd person perspective, much like dragon age games. Skyrim (I play SE now as colors are better) is pretty much a 1st person shooter with RPG slapped on top, which I'm ok with.

BTW SkyrimSE is getting a script extender, it was meant to come out in march but maybe I remember that wrong, perhaps its this or next month. We are still all waiting on NMM v2 to come out also with features like Mod Organizer, but it isn't needed for SkyrimSE as MO2 works fine with that (somehow better then FO4 which its still flaky with).

It has all the DnD elements I like rolls for damage, turn based kinda, but also is still interesting to play
Skyrim I like, but isn't as replayable nowadays for me as KoTOR is
also KoTOR is star wars lol

The economy! I think I can safely say that the economy is one thing that TES has never really gotten right. Here is the part of my play through that inspired me to opine on this topic. It starts when Belethor over in Whiterun jokes about wanting to sell his sister.

When you think of the incredible size of TES games and the huge amounts of items that can be bought and sold you would think Bethesda would have made a more robust economy. One where supply and demand would mean something, granted the player is really the only participant in the economy. However, a simulated economy would be very interesting and is something I hope is implemented in the game out of the box. As a frame of reference, think Mount and Blade.

Before I go further into what I would like to see implemented in the game here is how the economy works in skyrim Skyrim:

Every item has a base value. The price of an item , depending on whether you are buying or selling, is affected by a price factor. The formula for the price factor is listed below:

sell price factor = (3.3 - 1.3 * skill/100) / ((1 + Haggling %) * (1 + Allure %) * (1 + Fortify Barter from potion) * (1 + the sum of Fortify Barter from equipment + Fortify Barter from Blessing of Zenithar))

buy price factor = (3.3 - 1.3 * skill/100) * (1 / (1 + Haggling %)) * (1 / (1 + Allure %)) * (1 - Fortify Barter from potion) * (1 - the sum of Fortify Barter from equipment - Fortify Barter from Blessing of Zenithar)

The buying price is found by multiplying the base value to the buy price factor. Selling price is found by dividing the base value by the selling price factor.

Next, the amount of gold merchants have on them is most arbitrary but can be increased via perks, which never made sense to me (how does the dragonborn affect someone else's stash?) Typically, you are looking between 100 and 1000 gold without the perks.

Merchants typically buy specific goods aside from general merchants and fences. Most merchants can be made into fences with the right perk (once again, makes little sense).

A merchant's total amount of gold and inventory resets every 48 hours.

Merchants sell only to the dragon born.

Regarding the value of a crafted item, I won't be talking about that here as this will get long enough, I'm sure.

Overall the economy is very lacking and static. The base value of items seems to be really off in Skyrim. For example, The Ring of Narmina is a unique ring given to you by the Daedric Lord Narmina and has a base value of 870. There is only one so it's value should be ultra high or even invaluable. So, let's say the player is speech level 100 and has all the relevant perks and is selling to the opposite sex. That invaluable, one of a kind, only to given to those by a single supernatural entity has a selling price of 679 gold. I've sold invisibility potions for more than that with minimal skill increases in speech. It's truly sad.

And now, the inevitable comparison to Morrowind. All I know about the economy is that it's just as static as Skyrim and Oblivion. Everything has a base price just like Skyrim however prices are affected by the merchant's disposition and your character's mercantile skill. Indirectly, your reputation and/or faction reputation, amount of fatigue and luck (no formula this time, couldn't find it!)

Almost every merchant sells @ higher than base value and buys @ lower than base value.

Some merchants, not just fences, will buy stolen goods. If you carry drugs, some merchants will refuse to deal with you. Merchants only sell or buy from the player. Merchant gold ranges dramatically from 9,000 to 50 gold (not including creature merchants) but most merchants will have from 4000-50 gold and this amount can be changed with a bit of trickery (waiting 24 hrs or selling merchants gold).

Another major difference is the ability to haggle that is determined by your mercantile skill. You will actually ask for a higher or lower price from the merchant and he will accept or refuse. Higher skill means better success at asking for lower or higher prices. Repeatedly getting denied for a haggle can result in 0 disposition with a merchant and he may not be willing to sell to you for some time.

Base value is also extremely varied. Again, I'll use a Daedric artifact: The Ebony Mail with a base value of 120,000 gold! It's nearly impossible to sell this item and get anywhere near it's value since all merchants won't have enough gold. Many will happily pay you their max gold for it, however if you want to part with such a rare item.

...So, here we are. Both games had mechanics that affected prices all built off a base value and skills could alter those prices. Outside of that, nothing contributed to a change in price. I call for a dynamic economy where price change not just based off skills, dispositions, reputations or perks but from supply and demand. They will need to simulate the economy!

Think something similar to Mount and Blade. The player (and simulated agents) can play the market to buy low and sell high. Crafting will play a role in this too but would need an overhaul. Instead of just smithing, enchanting and alchemy why can't there be brewing, farming, tailoring, cooking or spell making? All these things require inputs which can vary in price. Nearly anything that could affect supply and demand would alter prices in the province and vary over the short and long term - weather, surplus, shortage, number of merchants, number of consumers (simulated agents), consumer taste, availability of substitutes and compliment, cost of labor, economies of scale, etc. Apply this to items and services alike such as training, inn rentals, horses, carriage rides and other transportation.

Aside from immersion improvements, it would open up a totally new way to play the game and sorely needs attention. That is all for now! If you are still reading this thread, thanks! Hope you will share your opinions on the state of the economy!

Here is something I learned about recently. It's small details like this that make the world in Skyrim feel lovingly crafted.

1 Like

The shadowmarks were a nice addition. Once you realize they are in the game, if you look for them, you find them all over the place.

Now, if only there was anything worth stealing :stuck_out_tongue: Topic for another post later on - hint: it plays into my economy post above.

1 Like