Skylake motherboards are a bag-o-shite!

So we got AMD being lazzy or not willing to compete, Nvidia failing to put fast enough 0.5GBs on their graphics cards and Intel not talking about their new product.
I will start soldering on my own cpu, see you in 30 years.

1 Like

here's a start

So much misunderstanding and Ostrich policy.

Most who posted in response to me completely misunderstood.

not me tho right? im on team drmario

The specs of Z170 and skylake cpu's, are plain and clear.
Intel mainstream cpu´s simply dont offer more then 16 physical pci-e lanes directly connected to the cpu.
Rest of the connectivity goes over the dmi bus.
I dont see why that would make Skylake mobo´s are a big of shit, like you are stating.
Its just a limmitation by intel basicly.

With Haswell this aint any diffrent.
The only diffrence with mainstream Haswell is that the dmi bus is only gen2 on Haswell.
So for that matter is Skylake Z170 an huge improvement over haswell.

If you need more physical lanes directly connected to the cpu.
then you simply need X99.

I think I covered that in every video I did on skylake? DMI 2.0 was pretty darn turdy. I did some tests with that intel 750 on DMI 2.0 on haswell and it was LOLWTFBBQ bad.

If you are a feature-freak go X99.

Also, the asrock board with the 3x m.2 connectors was just fine using 3 slower m.2 drives all at once. I was pushing maybe 1.5-1.8 gigabytes/sec. Yes, it'll bottleneck if you get 3 samsung drives for sure. Even 1.5gbyte/sec is pushing it. The DMI 3.0 seems to be about just two devices talking to each other as fast as possible.. e.g. USB3 to M.2 or SATA Express to M.2 or USB3 but not more than that.

If you want a of peripherals, there is no substituting X99.

I see the DMI 3.0 x4 PCIe problem like the old "shared PCI" bus problems from waaaay back a long time ago. This was one reason dual slot systems were so amazing-- two PCI busses with a high-speed link on the northbridge or some such.

It seems reasonable for a consumer board. Skylake prices are too high right now b/c scarcity. X99 is rocks-solid and plenty expandable. ?

4 Likes

I agree with this, if we talk from an i7-6700K standpoint.
6700K costs more then the 5820K in the US atleast.
That realy makes no sense in most cases.

Hearing issues with Skylake makes me want Zen more and more.

1 Like

What issues are you refering to?

Stuff like lacking in thermal compound on the IHS making temps bad and you can't delid because the PCB is too thin and risk breaking it. Even if Skylake didn't have any of those problems, Skylake is still a disappointment. I think Intel reached an IPC Cap for silicon so, you don't really need a new CPU anymore unless you're on AMD or a Core 2 Quad.

Well i dont realy think that the temps are that bad at Skylake.
Theoreticly it should be better then Haswell, since Skylake does not have a Fivr,
but thats ofc just theoreticly.

Anyway, i agree that in terms of raw cpu power, there is not much of an improvement since sandybridge.
However some added instructions like AVX2.0 since Haswell, is realy an improvement in some area´s.
Also the platfoms them selfs have been improved allot, especialy Skylake with the dmi 3.0 bus.
And its ofc realy nice that intel offers support for things like vt-d on their unlocked i5's / i7´s since Devils canyon.

CPUs are at the point of smartphones. They perform the same give or take 1-4%. Everything that matters are features coming in with a massive premium.
Wasn´t Intel advertising with "Bringing DDR4 to the mainstream."? Well, said mainstream is so expensive nobody arround me except two colleagues care about it.
As the game industry realized how much more they could do when they would start using more cores, the core count race is back. Cooperative cores can perform very well compared to single cores in business tasks. Maybe we will bring "six-cores requiered" to the mainstream.
Intel got lazy. In fact they got lazy to a point where someone startet looking into it. But all they found on their hunt were bubbles. I do not know and do not want to know what Intel is planing but for now it looks like a gold rush before AMD comes back.

With these prices I don't know why anyone would choose a 6700k over a 5820k... With the 5820k + MB being only $12 more than a 6700k + MB it seems like a no brainer; 6 real cores + HT and 28 real PCI-E lanes.

Wish these had been the prices last year when I built my 4690k rig...

1 Like

I'm going to second the sentiment of most. I bought a 5930k because I had an external raid controller and the THOUGHT of possibly adding another 980 (I sold my 980 and got a ti instead). Now I have the ability to move my raid controller and add a 950 ssd if I want, and at 4.4GHz with 6 cores I don't THINK I'm missing out on much with my decision.

It seems like you really just want X99. With Broadwell being x99 compatible it seems like a pretty safe choice to give you an upgrade path if you want the better chip. Heck you could go 5820 now and get a Broadwell chip after if you find yourself needing more than 28 lanes.

Im kinda curious. has anyone tested the Z107 OC formula?

@MisteryAngel know anyone who has?

There are some reviews about it.
I have looked at it, and the VRM is realy good, pretty sure that it is a great board.

If you are a overclocker, and you are looking for a feuture rich overclockers board.
Then i would definitely recommend it.

It has some pretty sick industrial design IMHO

Yeah the awesome thing is that they have used the latest International Rectifier pwm controler on that board, the IR35201.
These are the latest and the greatest basicly.
The Asrock Z170 OC Fomula is the only Asrock Z170 board that uses this IR pwm controller, as far as i know.

I read this. I really like the tweak town has stepped up and committed to doing this from here on out

You see I noticed a good few of ASUS's boards use the hybrid PWM setup which pretty much all other boards use so theres nothing special. Actually its a little retarded that ASUS gets all the overclock attention when the z170 OC formula is the onyl board with a full true digi pwm setup

irc is so quiet gosh darn it lol

Asus uses the same IR35201 pwm controllers on their Maximus 8 Extreme.
Two of them to be precise.