Skylake motherboard that supports ECC Ram?

The I3's can use the workstation chipsets that are usually reserved for Xeons, and some consumer boards did support ECC as well on haswell and previous generations. This msi board even has explicit support for a Kingston ECC RAM kit: http://us.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/H97-GUARD-PRO.html#support-mem

Well so its a budget xeon not marketed as one and disguised as i3 - none the less good to know =)

Were they equipped with consumer chips as well?

Yes, Most Asus boards were compatible with consumer chips such as pentium, celeron, i3, i5, i7, and also supported xeon's. This msi even has explicit support for a kingston ecc kit:

Interesting, last I checked they didn't.
Or maybe I just think they didn't.

You should talk to Wendel about it. He's recommended I3 home server setups before. I found them quite interesting.

@ Qain Good call.. I guess this thing is turning out to be a lil more expensive than i anticipated. Will probably stick with home group & raid 1 for now. I can run an FTP from my router i guess. Thanks again..;)

Sorry, I meant if the board had a customer their chipset on the motherboard.. not the CPU support itself.
One can stick ECC DIMs into any motherboard.. they will do their job but without ECC if the CPU does not support it so it's easy for ASUS to write them on the list.

My ancient sabertooth motherboard has ECC mem on the comp list but no CPU that actually supports it ^^

If an I3 is put into one of those boards that does support it, it will run with full ECC enabled if the ram is ECC and the board doesn't freak out. Sometimes ECC ram can act weird if it isn't on the supported list, although usually its fine on the lga 1150 boards.

2 Likes

Fkit this is why i couldn't find any info on any other thread.

The Phenom II will the free NAs just about supports 8 gigs of ram.

Lets see how that goes...

Thanks Quain & Cave..

Maybe ill buy a new gutar

Well..finally found a Skylake Xeon also some ECC memory at a decent price..hopefully the mobos will be soon to follow ......