So, not sure if this is “enterprise” but it is FOR an enterprise, and doesn’t fit anywhere else.
A travel case (ruggedised) sized box providing the following…
- Riverbed Steelconnect SDWAN (VM or appliance)
- Windows virtual machine(s)
- Network routing/firewalling
- 8+ port gigabit (10G uplink(s) if i can swing it - so i can later uplink to a distribution switch when structured cabling goes in) managed switch
- Wireless networking
- 2-4 TB NVME SSD storage
- secondary rust storage
- 32-64 GB RAM
- as many cores as will fit (guessing 8C)
Desirable if possible
- hardware fault tolerance (either via 2 NUCs running oVirt or similar)
- under 7500 AUD total BOM
The concept is to be able to take said luggage to a remote site in the middle of nowhere, plug a power cable in one hole, plug a DHCP allocated network in the WAN port and have a small office network ready to go, ideally pre-built and shipped with a non-IT nerd as checked baggage.
So far we have been spitballing in the office.
- Small 19" chassis rails in a box exist
- one or more NUCs should fit - they can be purchased as rack mounted options
- shuttle look like they have some interesting hardware that could work
Use case: early deployment of a small office server/network/vpn appliance in (literally) the middle of nowhere, where cloud service may not be available and internet will be really bad satellite or mobile coverage only.