Sit/Stand Desk PC Mods: New Threadripper Linux Battlestation! | Level One Techs

So PS2 > bluetooth? Would be fun doing that with an ESP8266…

Going OT…

During my undergrad days I hacked on PS2 with a PIC microchip (waaaaay before Github was a thing; arduino didn’t exist back then…). Hand-wrote all my own libraries (for serial, i2c, ps2)…

My thesis was building an odometry “sensor” using an optical mouse CMOS sensor for a rail-road search/rescue robot

Redacted thesis sample for anyone curious (linked here).

1700 is the better experience right now but you can get an 1800x for $320 :smiley:

A tr agesa update is otw tho

3 Likes

…Plus waiting for new UEFI’s to be issued by manufacturers and then validate each mainboard yeah? In which case, it actually makes choosing your ‘X399’ mainboard an even more important choice.

From what I’ve seen, Asus (at least via their ROG forum) have direct staff interacting with the community discussing UEFI’s, beta UEFI’s and other issues. Not sure if other manufacturers have this level of support. MSI? Asrock?

Do we know if this will fix any of the passthrough funny business?

I’m a bit frustrated, since the IOMMU funny business on X370 makes me a bit uneasy, but the bus reset issue on X399 makes me even more unhappy. AMD has a wonderful platform, the only issue is the passthrough stuff, which, if I’m being honest, it isn’t surprising that there are issues.

See, I have the budget for a 1920x and obviously, it’s a better system. I’d like the additional cores, but I can get away with 8, assuming I massage my ego a bit.

@bsodmike, it’s a really compelling reason to go Asus. You’re definitely paying for the support though.

2 Likes

Given the Aquantia Nic is included though the mobo’s cost is closer to $300. Plus you get DIMM.2 (oh so easy to swap out M.2s)… seems like a bargain? If you plan to use the 10G nic though…

I don’t have 10GbE right now, but it’s on the books for 2018. Are you sure you don’t work for Asus? You do a very good job selling it.

Only issue is the case I want to use doesn’t support EATX. (Meshify C)

1 Like

Haha… :blush: – yeah, looking at my stack of Corsair cases and Asus boards (5 running, spare Zenith in box)… it’s rather embarrassing.

Honestly, though, the Gigabyte UEFI just left me wanting ‘more’ knobs. The Asus UEFI has more knobs than I’ll ever need, laid out far better, and also far less of an eye sore. It just feels far more polished.

On the whole Android vs iOS thing too, what takes me back to iOS – it’s far more polished.

Zenith Extreme for $374.99 for the next 13 hours… WUUUUUT!!!

Go grab it now.

Thanks for your response man. I may wait.

1 Like

shiiit

Just before this post, I bought a 1700. I’m going to settle for that and be happy that I didn’t spend upwards of 2k on a system.

1 Like

Aye–be happy. I’ve got relatives visiting from Canada, so I may send back the $499.99 Zenith Extreme as shipping via Canadian Post (+ CAD800 insurance) is only $40 in real monies (USD).

Believe I should be as happy as a pig in mud with the one TR rig and the soon-to-arrive i9 7920X.

Annoyingly though, placed the order on the 16th, but the damn thing has been sitting in an Amazon warehouse and (probably being carted around via the crazy tetris bots) since the 18th…

Saturday, November 18
8:47 PM
Shipment arrived at Amazon facility
Avenel, NJ US

Ugh #why… Customer Support says it’ll get here by Monday, and given it is Saturday where I am, I guess Bezos has figured out how to bend the space-time continuum. Hmm…

1 Like

Don’t you know that if you fly a plane fast enough, you can go back in time?

1 Like

Well, time does move at a different rate at higher altitudes/obits (hence the need to atomic Caesium clocks). Then again, Superman did that in one of this (now vintage) films right? haha…