Singularity Computers vs Seasonic. Who did it better?

Did Seasonic do it better with their special case and power distro plate?

Or did Singularity Computers do it better with their power distro plate?

I’ve only skimmed through Jays video, but I think Seasonic did a better job.
The Singularity power ‘distribution’ is just an extension for every single cable, but confined in plastic. Dumb and gimmicky in my opinion. And you need custom cables at both sides of the ‘distribution’ thing. :confused:
Not that I like the Seasonic solution, but they at least put some effort into engineering.

Seasonic by far.

I have no doubt the Singularity case is a good piece of manufacturing, but checking their website it starts at like $1300. The power distribution and case are effectively one and the same, so it’s basically proprietary as well. Also doesn’t include the actual PSU itself.

Seasonic it looks like the PSU with the distribution block is ~$200 and the case $240, so altogether about 1/3 the cost of Singularity. It’s also a separately available unit from the case, which to me means it could be fit to other cases with some minor modifications of the case.

However I think they’re not really comparable in the grand scheme of things because they seem to be targeting two different markets and just happen to share a similar feature. What’s basically a custom open air test bench with integrated water cooling and lights and all that vs. a fairly normal black box.

3 Likes

Agree, the target markets are different, but I wanted to compare actually electrically which would do better. Huge PCB with large voltage planes passing through, or active conversion as Seasonic is doing?

I find this extremely stupid. You still need cables! And they still will be visible :sweat_smile: Why not just cablemod it in the first place?

/rant

My question still remains unanswered. Who has the electrically better design? Seasonic by moving the 3.3V and 5V conversion to the power distro plate, or Singularity?

They are not comparable.
It is like asking if a Car is better than a Truck.

1 Like

Seasonic: works for all the cases that have enough space
Singularity Computers: works with ONE case

I don’t think there’s much to say other than this, according to me, to figure out who did it better.
I also found the Singularity Computers approach excessive and over engineered for no reason. I can see why in an open chassis that would make a difference. But in a standard case of such good quality, that’s been engineered to hide all the cables without even trying, there’s no point.
You also need custom cables to use it because every power supply is pinned out differently depending on the manufacturer/OEM and of custom lenght too. It just moves the hassle elsewhere, not worth it.

Maybe it could work for someone that wants the Seasonic power bar thingy but it’s using a stupid PSU that’s over 850W, but that’s about it.