Single Boot Device - Multiple OS Installers

I’ve never had a problem with Yumi and UEFI. What problems did you run into?

custom or unlisted ISO’s. for example, I have a win10 iso that I customized for qemu via nLite. That, hypervisors like proxmox and esxi, and some other distros of linux aren’t listed. it isn’t clear how to get those into the UEFI version of yumi. afaik, unlisted iso only exists in the std yumi. maybe I’m overlooking something. either way, good program.

Ah, when I used yumi, I just used the standard version and was able to get a UEFI entry anyways. Not sure if that was just because of the mainboards I used it on or if it was a yumi thing.

Tried YUMI and couldn’t get it working with my Hackintosh ISO

I have previously had success with using multibootusb with multiple linux ISOs, it may be worth checking if it can support unlisted/non-linux ISOs as it appeared generally a very nice application to work with.

Link?

I found it here:

1 Like

Didn’t work for Hackintosh ISO

I’m very interested in the product for what it appears it can do. Do you by chance know of a software only based solution? I’m really not looking to buy another storage device, and I feel a software based solution should be more than possible.

Unfortunately not. I would have told you by now if I did :wink:

The arch wiki has information on how to do it manually. If you look through the history it used to go into how to set this up with other oses as well.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multiboot_USB_drive

Be VERY careful what you talk about with that stuff as it can be categorized under Warez.

That being said, You’re going to be better off doing a one off for totally-not-a-fruit based OS’s. You aren’t going to use them 3 or 4 times in a month. Yumi also isn’t finished yet, so theres that as well. However, it is the best you can do unless you do it by hand, which I’m unsure of how you would do that.

1 Like

Basically you install grub, extract the ISO to the USB device, change the file paths in the ISOs bootloader entry and chainload the grub/syslinux from the ISO.

On paper, easy2boot sounded great, but when I used it to install Linux, I found the UEFI setup to be incredibly daunting…so much crap to read and do if you wanted to launch an iso in UEFI.

They have a UEFI version in beta. Last I tried it, it didn’t work, and it doesn’t seem to be a priority to the developer.

Yeah, I felt that way at first too. It’s basically 1 difference ultimately. Aside from choosing a good Filesystem format (NTFS is best imo). That’s converting the ISO to imgPTN file format using the provided tool.

Every other step is the same for non-UEFI.

Dealing with UEFI in general sucks, but it’s more so because of UEFI and its shoddy implementations by motherboard manufacturers rather than Easy2Boot making it hard.

There is some weirdness from Easy2Boot in that if you are using UEFI, it bypasses the Easy2Boot menu entirely once the imgPTN is selected. Easiest way to switch that is to boot BIOS instead to get to the menu and make whatever changes, or use the built in QEMU to do the same.

TBH tho that’s expected behavior because of how UEFI works. It won’t see the menu and just sees the imgPTN because it’s literally a partition.

Easy2Boot basically redoes the partition table when you select an ISO or imgPTN. It doesn’t touch the rest of the files and stores the old table for restoration later. That’s how it works its magic basically.

I don’t distribute the ISOs. They are made using the ApplePi Baker application on the Mac side of things, etc…

No I get that. Trust me you’re not the only one around here that uses them ;3

I’m just saying be careful about that stuff. Its better to say OS X or BSD than it is to say Hackintosh. Its technically piracy. Forums like this one have a weird thing about that.

From what I’ve seen, they’re pretty cool and on top about it. I wouldn’t worry about it.