Simply download and compile the kernel

1.cd into usr/src

cd /usr/src/

2 wget the kernel source

wget https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.4.tar.xz
You can change the version number to whatever you want in the future.

3 When it's done downloading, untar the tarball

tar -xvJf linux-4.4.tar.xz

4 You can figure the kernel to add and remove features, but this is optional.

cd linux-4.4
make menuconfig

5 Compile the kernel and kernel modules

make && make modules

6 Install the kernel modules

make modules_install

7 Now, install the new kernel.

make install

Now, reboot. To check if you succeeded and everything went well:
uname -r

1 Like

What's the point of this thread?

Tutorial?

If you are going to post a tutorial maybe you should, idk explain why people would want to go through this process and what all the benefits of linux are. I mean you've just given some instructions and no background to whats the purpose of the tutorial, what a use would be of this information, and no convincing reason why anyone would go through this. A basic tutorial on how to install the linux kernel should idk, include a basic overview of the information and an argument for why someone should go through all this. I mean I saw this and said, 'wow this is not going to be used by anyone,' starting with your title, which has no mention that this is a tutorial. The lack of any explanation or reasoning for why someone should go through this and so forth.

I don't want to come off as bashing you, because tutorials are great and we need more of them. But they need to be more fleshed out and be more easily accessible.

3 Likes

Any one curious about compiling the Kernel would understand by the title... It's pretty much self explanatory

3 Likes

Whilst you wrote a good guide, i do agree that maybe explaining why someone would want to update kernel would be a good idea.

A good recent example would be (CVE-2016-0728).

Information here:

Another good idea would be to include at the start of the guide how someone might check to see what version their kernel is?

uname -r

I look forward to a new guide from you in the future.

you can also use git to aquire the kernel as well

simple and clean guide

may want to add a preface though

1 Like