*Sigh* linux users

hahaha yes, I guess we can summarize everything into this statement

1 Like

Because no one games on Linux. It’s a numbers problem. Aremis described the average Linux user, imo.

Also, games work just fine on Linux/Unix systems. Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 are FreeBSD. SteamOS is Debian. Pretty sure the Nintendo Switch is some *BSD variant as well.

The issue is to get games working on a mainstream DE, with the poor production value and dependency hell.

2 Likes

linux users and their hardware/software tribalism are :ok_hand:

1 Like

We’re all assholes in the end.

I also think you can’t go installing arch or gentoo to not tell everyone and shame their vanilla mint cinnamon installs using apt-get instead of apt

1 Like

not me. I am an angel.

- Sent from my Intel/Nvidia/Windows machine.

1 Like

Listen up you dick bumping, ego driven, testosterone fueled, chest pounding, CIS white male, you need to grow up. People that game on Linux are smarter. You need to be smart to use Linux.

2 Likes

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/linux-support-gultva9c385lk

1 Like

Yea, yea, we know how you feel about people who disagree with your political leanings.
But could you just stay on topic and keep those feelings to yourself, instead of injecting them into every topic?

1 Like

I don’t inject politics into every thread lol. My point is twitter is loud and screamy and linux users are even louder than that.

Okay if you say so.

2 Likes

I like it if Linux stays kinda niche with its support regarding games thanks to these people, there is no better excuse for avoiding the next gamer fad than soley playing on Linux.
The amount of time I’ve saved that would have been spent on arguing why I don’t want to play fortnite with “btw I use arch” is amazing.

1 Like

VR works on Linux though.

Wow, you have to use Arch Linux as an excuse to tell people you don’t play a mainstream game targeted towards 13 - 17 year olds? Weird, I just tell people it’s not my thing and go about my day.

shhhhh :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The arch part is a bit over the top to be fair but I found it goes over much better if I “can’t” play something my friends are hyped for instead of don’t wanting to for any reason. I take it as a glass half full thing.

Not to take anything away from your point, There’s a misconception around the Nintendo Switch and which OS it is running but it is in fact entirely custom built around the existing 3DS codebase. It is thought to be BSD based as it uses code from the FreeBSD kernel, namely the sockets service but the actual OS its self isn’t FreeBSD.

The average ritual a new Linux user has to go through

Newbie: “I want to switch to Linux, where do I start?”

Imbecil: “Slackware or GTFO”
Decent user: suggest something that makes sense and he’s actually using, which starts an ideological war

Newbie: https://youtu.be/5FjWe31S_0g

This is the idea that I have of the Linux community out of this place. And sites like stackoverflow didn’t help this pretty bad idea that I have. I can’t imagine how bad is the switch for someone that’s on it’s own, can only rely on forums and has very little experience with the PC world in general.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong.

going by demographics bub

If no one games on linux, it shouldn’t be a problem enough for a developer to dump on linux gamers :smiley:

But yes, i agree. There are more dickhead Windows gamers because there are more Windows gamers.

That said, the ratio on Linux is probably higher at the moment; there are a lot of socially awkward (read: narcissist, sociopath, etc.) Linux users out there who are attracted to Linux purely because it is not mainstream. It makes them feel special.

And then they get online gaming to work and decide to big-note themselves to the world and act like dicks. Because they think they’re smart for using linux or whatever. An online game is a “safe” environment for them to do that without getting their head kicked in.

Same sort of mentality as a lot of “top end hardware” gamers in the age demographic described by @georgezilla above. “I’m better than you because reason and i’m going to rub your nose in it”. When in reality they’re sad little guys with no friends. But they think that they can buy something that will make that different.

Ahh… you’re probably in your 20s? :smiley:
When you get a bit older (say, 30s) you start to feel far less concerned about what your “friends” think and quite happily tell them “nah, that’s stupid, i’m drinking beer/working/fucking/whatever this weekend!”

1 Like

Can confirm. Am 32 now and am not in the slightest concerned what anyone thinks of me for playing or not playing a particular game. I still work on the “i want to play it to spend time with friends, even if i don’t like it” thing though.

1 Like

It kinda goes for life in general. And the above comment kinda reminded me of a conversation i had with the GF just yesterday.

GF just turned 30 this year and she’s looking for a different job. She was stressing about the whole interview thing because last time she was looking was 5 years ago or so. She had an interview this week and was stoked with how well it went and how not-nervous she was (After stressing for days before hand due to memories of before).

Work-wise something similar happens. Around your 30s you just get far more confident in general. Telling people what you think, not worrying about whether or not you can do the job, etc.

You realise everybody in life is pretty much winging it, even the older people, and if you have to wing it to get something over the line, then that’s just what you have to do (everybody is short of qualifications/experience, until after they seem to need it :D).

You also realise that what people think about trivial shit is not really that important (so long as you’re not a total dick about it :D), unless they’re paying you, sleeping with your, or whatever. :smiley: