Should you take your phone to the US?

I'll be restoring mine, putting on movies etc for flight, restoring from backup once i arrive.

4 Likes

I'd probably just buy a smartphone in the states. If I'm already 800+$ in the hole for airfare another 100$ hardly make a difference. There is no difference between going to China or going to the US.

Whaddya'mean you don't believe the user name on my phone is Guest?

But yeah, wipe and restore. Over VPN if you feel like being extra clever.

1 Like

Why, I thought people in the UK had willingly accepted the mindset that, "If you've got nothing to hide, why not let them look at your device?" With the amount of surveillance cameras they've already got watching their every move by the Inner Party, it's not like it is going to make that much of a difference to their people at this point.

As a resident of the US, I basically have to bring my phone back with me when I travel abroad. However, in the future, in light of this stupidity, I will wipe my phone, along with my social media accounts, next time I must travel abroad. Then if they want my phone, they can have it.

I don't have anything to hide. However, that doesn't mean I should have to give up my privacy.

Not trying to make this political, just my .02.

2 Likes

Yeah its a bit of a weird one. . CCTV is basically everywhere in the capital, the general public either isn't informed or doesn't care enough to stop the snoopers charter but... Any suggestion of say, mandatory ID cards, or letting anyone look at your phone and it's "you'll have to pry my civil liberties from my cold dead hands"

"No sir, I thought everyone's device name defaulted to 'null'."