Should I use my phone's fingerprint scanner?

Hi, some days ago I bought the Moto G5 plus and this is my first time ever owning a phone with a fingerprint scanner.

Should I use it to unlock my phone if I care about security, privacy and such, or is a PIN code better if I am concerned about these kinds of things?

It depends. If you often go places where you may be required to unlock your phone (airport security) then use a passphrase/ long pin.

Otherwise, don't worry about it and go ahead and use it

Phone security can keep random strangers from getting at your data, but none of the security measures will keep a determined individual out. So the question shouldn't really be which one is safer.

With that said, fingerprints are probably easier to crack, because they are all over your phone.

Security wise it is better than a pin but it may not be the best option for privacy because if a law officer wants to look through your phone they have the right to go through it without your permission.

My phone's screen is a fringeprint magnet, you can probably guess the PIN just based upon the fingerprints' location on the display.

I live in Spain, and the law is a little bit let's just say fuzzy.

Here's the best explanation I've found about what a policeman can make you to do here in Spain in regard to that (G. Translate, sorry, 03:25am :D)

The law is very clear, you are required to identify yourself if a police requires it, to prevent any crime.
Any policeman who stops you and asks you to identify yourself, and you do not want (not that you can not), they apply the art.556 of C.P. For disobedience to authority.

If you seem suspicious to a police officer or believe that you have conflicting behavior, they have the right to ask yourself to identify yourself.
Exactly, that is police abuse, and as I said hardly a judge will give you the reason because it is your word against his, and as he is a police officer will believe him (that's why police abuse) And so I repeated what legally, We talk about the theoretical, in practice things are different.

You are NOT required to identify yourself without any reason. But the police only have to accuse you of any nonsense, even though that is illegal.
24 hours I think, right?

That I understand that many things can be done but let's ... question each one ....
I think so, 24h but I think it's more of the movies xD so I do not trust any of that xD
With court order I think so.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I studied laws, but I have informed myself and I understand that you can not ask for an order to force you to unblock the cell phone. In fact remember the famous case that the FBI asks Apple to unlock the mobile of a delinquent.
The police can unlock the mobile by their means, but do not force you to put your finger on the fingerprint reader. For example if they have your mark they can create a mold, that goes inside of not obligating you.

I'm more afraid of getting my fingerprints stolen in the future because of a software bug.

Then don't use a fingerprint scanner. You won't be missing out on much.

Personally, I just slide to unlock my phone and I've been doing this for years. I have yet to find myself in a situation of someone grabbing my phone and looking through it.

1 Like

You are not aware of someone ever grabbing your phone and looking through it.

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Maybe.

Well fingerprint scanners are really fast so you can unlock your phone as you take it out of your pocket without looking at it and have it unlocked when it's out. Also I would use it, just in case I forget it somewhere or my friends want to do me "funny pranks" shitposting on my Facebook or sending random messages to my contacts lol