Should I go with linux?

And just in case you missed it, backup, backup, backup!

If possible, to an external drive, so you can disconnect it when playing around & not have to worry about formatting the wrong drive..

Mint is another very user friendly option to get started on.

One thing to keep in mind if you are trying out distros on a USB, they will be slower than what they run from an SSD, so try them out to see how it looks & runs, but keep in mind that the actual experience will be much better.

1 Like

I'm like a hiker saying
"Watch out for bears!! just watch for them!!, They'll fucking attack watch out!!
hahah
Seriously though, losing priceless data is no laughing matter...

Ok thanks guys for helping this forum is awsome when ever I ask any thing I get response right away I sure will try it today

Well you should be able to make an ubuntu live usb with that rufus program I posted above and downloading the iso through that link... then you boot from the usb and it will prompt you to install from usb or try the distro... Ubuntu is solid(as is Mint as suggested above) you could go with either one and have no problems at first... They might breathe new life into an older machine like you have... There are a million walkthroughs on youtube to watch on your phone while doing it.. maybe watchone with a lot of views.. though it is pretty self explanatory if you just use the usb installer from the ubuntu usb...

I will go with ubunto tek syndicate talked about it and made tutorials I will go with that and may be as you say will breath life in my old pc and start spending time on it

It sure isn't!

Although, something to consider, if you are ONLY using this machine to learn & don't have anything important on it, let it break..

I killed my OS I think 5 times in the first month of Linux. After reinstalling everything a few times, it starts to make a whole lot more sense.

The best way to learn is by making mistakes :)

1 Like

fuck ya, go for it! good luck
Here and http://askubuntu.com/ and /r/ubuntu on reddit are great resources for help...The linux community is awesome... I love giving my time to help because people helped me a lot... So hopefully you'd help people when you see a help thread. Good luck dude(or girl)!!

1 Like

Sure I will be helping people you need to bs honored man he a certificate or some thing xD

Linux runs really well on older hardware. Mint flew on my old x3 with 4 gig ddr2.
Another nice surprise is when you install steam and login your csgo will be there to install. Just finished installing mine on a New Mint partition on my hd. Gonna try it out for the first time on my new 7850k

1 Like

You'll need to use PlayOnLinux to get LoL working but it worked just fine for me. :)