Should I get a gtx 1080 or Vega 64

Think you misread what I said about both technologies. I don’t think either are worth spending money on. Stuff like color correctness, monitor resolution and black levels are a better use of that cash.

People use +50% powerlimit overclock option which I think exceeds this quite a bit.

That’s bumping the power limit by 50% which is pointless (without exotic cooling). But it does what it says on the control - it bumps power by 50%.

if you run the stock Vega 56 bios on “turbo” as per your screenshot it tops out around 250 watts.

But even that is pointless. You will get 95% plus of that performance on balanced. And 90% or so on power save.

You can push the power even further than that if you mess with powerplay tables and exotic cooling. But it very much is law of diminishing returns beyond “balanced” profile. Which is the default profile the card resets to every driver update.

But that isn’t standard out of the box behaviour. Standard is ~250 watts or less.

I agree. I just wanted to visualize options. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fair enough.

Vega is a bit of an odd card (possibly like a fury, buti never had one of those). If you try push core too hard, it gets hot and then HBM clock drops (as it is on the same package/heatsink). Vega is also very memory bandwidth dependent, so heating things up to the point where HBM clock drops just kills performance in many scenarios.

You want to keep it cool (which is why a lot of the people who just turn up the power as much as they can to get core clock lose the plot). Going to put mine on water when i rebuild my box (next few months hopefully).

I wouldn’t go that far.

I’d say that Vega was intended as a general purpose card, including gaming. But wasn’t written to run old software as fast as possible as a compromise.

It has new features, that when used rock for gaming. But they need to be used.

Personally i like to buy for tomorrow’s games/software, not stuff that came out last year that runs at 1080p, 60 fps plus on anything worth more than $250…

Vega would have been best as a laptop part only, power consumption is real good at the low end.