Should I Bake My Motherboard?

I think your 970 is fine for now, but if you plan on upgrading your monitor to 1440p / 4k later you will want to upgrade the GPU eventually. For 1080p it is sufficient for another couple of years, and while sufficient may not be sexy, it sure as heck helps. :slight_smile:

As for Nvlink / SLI, hardly any software support it these days, and of the few that do, many only see 15-30% increase over running two separate GPUs. PCIe technology has come so far these days, though I guess it wouldn’t hurt if a card could split the x16 to a x8/x8 where one channel communicates directly with the CPU and the other with the GPU directly.

Still, I’d say you will be better off with a single 2060 Super rather than multiple 970, unless you absolutely need the few extra performance percentages that Nvlink provides, or have a very specific Neural network you wish to run here.

here’s a possible simple solution

have you tried taking out the CPU and putting it back in again

same with ram

1 Like

I have 2, 16 GB sticks of Gskill in my x570 master

You could give a desoldering air gun a go. But I wouldn’t ever trust a machine I’d had to do that to, so my recommendation is “stop being cheap and replace the dead hardware”.

But that’s just me. PC software is flaky enough without adding dodgy hardware to the mix.

note the ddr4
:slight_smile:

1 Like

My mobo is DDR3, sorry!

1 Like

I have one of those also. An Asus P7P55D-E LX with an Intel 55E chipset. It had 4 sticks of 2GB 1600 DDR3 Corsair ram, I tried to upgrade with 4 sticks of 4GB 1600 DDR3 Corsair ram, that pcpartpicker said was compatible. I never got it to work, then got sick and missed the deadline for sending it back, :frowning:

I remember back in the day it was somewhat popular to do this with a certain gpu from nvida. Until reading your post this danger had not occurred to me. Could you point me in the right direction to find some hard info on this topic? I tried googling but all i found was people disagreeing with each other. I understand the toxic nature of tech components but i would really like some conclusive closure on the topic.

while I don’t have any concrete evidence on the matter anyone that is reputable will tell you not to
such as Ben Heck

I personally know people who have resurrected GPUs and TV motherboards by baking. In the case of a friend’s GTX780ti, he got another 6-12 months of use out of it - and at the time the 780ti was still a fairly potent card. Tided him over until he upgraded to a 1080ti later.

Whether or not it is appropriate in the OPs case (from 4 years ago no less) is another thing entirely.

As to toxicity - i wouldn’t recommend doing it in an oven you use for food. I mean I wouldn’t recommend it, period - but if you have a kiln or something available and your hardware is already dead you can maybe get some life out of it IF the fault is related to dodgy solder contacts on some component(s).

Worst case (assuming you don’t do it in your food oven) you kill already dead hardware…

Yeeaah, clearly not a great idea :sweat_smile:. Shame we don’t have any hard data on the bread and board easy bakeflow oven. One could probably get away with doing it a few times but for sure frequent use would be no bueno. That having been said still would not cook and flow in the same oven :joy:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.