Should I Avoid Top Flow CPU Coolers?

i've had this cooler for years

(prolimatech genesis)

top down out the back all that

i changed to AIO for the lanparty and its WAAAAAAAY cooler now. so its up to you OP, top down heatsinks are fine but aio will outperform. maybe AIO and a fan to blow on the mobo components

you mean like those? (still y blow hot air over your mobo...)

1 Like

Blowing hot air on your motherboard. I LOVE IT!

Any bend in the heatpipes is lowering the performance. There was some calculations, stating 90 degrees bend equals 20% lower heat transfer or something... This one you show is above and beyond bending...
But in any case, D14 is still kicking like half 240mm aio's butts left, right and center. And is cheaper than... all of them?

this isn't a discussion about your cpu cooling preferences.

lol

you realize if i got an AIO all the air getting to my mobo would have already gone through the AIO's radiator, so the same type of warm air as the air from a top flow air cooler blowing down onto the ram.

depends on how you orient the fans.

well, either i would be using the air warmed by the cpu to cool everything else or i would use air warmed by everything else to cool the cpu...

This might be true in some cases, but not others.
In my particular experience, I switched my CPU cooler over from a CoolerMaster V6GT, to a Corsair H60. From that switch, I noticed the north bridge temps dropped by a good 15-20c. I can only guess it did the same to my VRM's, because I was able to push that CPU another 400MHz without running into stability issues during extended loading.
Between the coolers, my CPU hardly saw a reduction in load temps, so they were more/less equal

it doesnt matter, long as the air is cooler than the surface of the components it's still cooling them.

You've got to remember that the people that are most likely to review products are the ones who have had something go wrong.

I've personally never used an AIO, but I plan to use one in my next system. Worst comes to worst and something does go wrong, the warranties normally cover damage into the thousands of dollars/pounds/euros.

i would not worry about it to much. but i am partial to NH D14/15 and custom loops. and the silver arrow with 2 fans. i like the idea of AIO's that are semi closed but have not played with them.

I use a Cryorig A80. It's an AIO, but with a small fan on top of the CPU to get airflow around the RAM/VRM area. Best of both worlds.

3 Likes

yep, it can certainly be tricky to find out just how reliable things are. I mean, even ignoring reviews and anecdotes, worst case scenario, a air cooler has 2 fans that can fail and thermal grease that can fail. An AIO has both of those failure points plus the radiator can leak, the fittings can leak, the tube can leak, the pump can fail, you have to worry about corrosion, you need to replace the liquid regularly if you want to minimize its conductivity to minimize the chances of something getting destroyed if it leaks. It has to be a less reliable product. Also, its like, you wait until an air cooler fails before replacing and nothing bad happens. But you wait until an AIO fails, and you might destroy half the things in your PC, and i doubt they'll cover that shit if its past warranty.

With all that said, i'm pretty impressed that the Kraken has a 6 year warranty, which is noctua air cooler warranty duration...

1 Like

the way i see it, if it works fine for first month; then it'll always work fine until you break it yourself by messing with it.

I always thought hotter a motherboard gets the better it performs.

Different electronics perform best at diff temps.

i ended up getting a krakken x52, and overclocking my current cpu instead of upgrading it. I got my 2600k to 4.8Ghz and on CPU-Z's benchmark it scores higher than a stock 6700.

The only pain in the ass is my motherboard is so old it doesn't have anything built into the bios for an AIO, so I have to control pump and fan speed through CAM and CAM keeps forgetting my custom settings and defaulting to silent mode. Is there any other software that will detect the krakken and let me adjust fan and pump speed?

2 Likes

The fans dont come attatched to the pump, do they? Whats preventing you from hooking up the fans to the CPU_fan header ?

IDK, i followed the directions and kind of just not too comfortable straying. Also the thing the fans are connected to is already connected to the CPU fan header. I also see zero options in the bios to change the cpu fan speed so it seems pointless.