Shopping for GPU

I'm buying a GTX 980 Ti when the new Pascal GPUs come out and the prices drop.

I'm looking at EVGA, MSI, or Gigabyte. While some cards are overclocked at different base, OC, or gaming mode values depending on the manufacturer (EVGA has a bunch of 980 Ti's all at different base clocks), I intend to overclock it as much as possible while still maintaining stability in games.

I don't want to spend unnecessarily so wouldn't I be best served to purchase the least expensive card and overclock it myself since they're all 980 Ti's?

EVGA has the card with watercooling on it, might want to pick up that beast.
With DX12 in mind, wouldn´t an AMD card make more sense?

Not only dx12 and Vulkan, but any game that was optimized for consoles.
If you're waiting for pascal I'd take a look at Polaris as well, since it's going to be launched just after that. The power efficiency will definitely be better than the 980ti, if that's the reason why you want to go nvidia.
But even if Polaris was a flop, the 980ti prices would drop again by then.

Recently came across this:

What is that supposed to tell us? The better specs of the fury x don't represent DX11 and OpenGL performance.

Well certainly wait for the new GPUs to come out, that's a given at this point (they're about 2 months away). I would suggest not going with Nvidia as AMD has better dx12 support, freesync is a hell of a lot cheaper than gsync, and there's a pretty good chance that Nvidia will nerf the performance of the 9xx series like they did with the 7xx series. Just my two cents here.

Actually it does...
Have anybody seen any benchmarks what so ever?

Now those are the games, that aren't tainted with Nvidia's virus, named GameWorks.
Now the virus:

Yeah... There are more...
It's funny, how FuryX is actually better stock than 980Ti stock in high res, and in 1080 falls flat on it's face. It'll be funny to buy 700$ card to play 1080 though...

How old are these benchmarks? I find it's hard to judge AMD cards when the games are firstly released. I know for a fact at Higher settings with my 380 4GB, I'm only held back by my CPU. It performs much better now than it previously did when the game was newer.

February...
I refuse to compare it to extremely overclocked 980Ti's that get overpraised and overpriced and compared to stock FuryX...
This is why i used a benchmark a couple months old...
Basically its the same thing today...
We shall see newish benches once Fury Pro Duo actually gets some reviews. Although i have red some Previews, where certain Techpowerup websites already said it's a crap videocard.

Polaris won't really cover the high end stuff, AMD says they are aiming for the mainstream, the latest and greatest will be their Vega cards further down the line, around November probably. I doubt that Polaris will surpass the 980 ti or if does, not by a lot. The main selling point right now is the power consumption with which they want to get back into notebooks a bit and cover the mainstream desktop market. Don't think the 980 ti will get cheaper for the Polaris launch, Nvidia isn't really under attack as far as we know and most people wont sell their ti to get the new AMD stuff.

I figured that was kinda clear when they demoed the Polaris chip being as powerful as a 960 while using half the Energy.

Actually there will be two polaris chips. Polaris 11, that will be basically R7 series, and Polaris 10, that will be basically the R9s...

1 Like

Holy smokes!

They demoed 'a' polaris chip, back then they didn't say it won't be high-end. Nvidia introduced Maxwell with the 750ti rather than 880 ti or whatever, I thought AMD was going for a similar approach, show off a bit with power consumption and get out the big guns later on.

Seen as they are talking about how there are only going to be two Polaris chips the 10 and 11 and then they would release the next family I figured it was going to be a situation where polaris was going to replace the r7 and lower end r9 chips and then Vega would replace the R9 390-FuryX line was how I was under the impression of things working.

The way I see it, polaris will be just like 300 series replaced all existing 200 series cards, and then Vega will be just like Fury added more power to 300 series...
The rumors about Computex are about AMD introducing 470 with 50W TDP and 480 with less than 100W TDP...
So far the news about other cards has nothing to do with release dates...

So the 470 will run off of mobo power only like the reference 750ti?

It might, maybe with a 6pin to take some stress from the mobo.

That is my reference information.
If it is only on WCCF i don't count it at all... When it get's reported by "serious" websites like Techpowerup report it, then i can allow myself to trust it...