Shit computers that aren't that shitty actually

@FaunCB you have an idea of the stock of stuff I have, I get so much shit for it. Probably the most common thing I get is ‘why do you run so many old laptops?’ Which has a variety of answers. Plus, old hardware. I don’t think many understand the value of physical 4 core CPUs, even the older ones. My mom has been on a q6600 for years now, and with an ssd, she says its still faster than her work computer

For one, I only really work on my laptops, not game. Mostly for school and my actual job (ie just writing emails) so nothing involved. Which means a 1st or 2by gen i5 with sufficient ram coupled with an ssd is all I need. So much of the stuff I have is from a single bad ram stick or drive that failed. The best I’ve received due to this is the 3960x, which I now use in a dedicated streaming rig.
Truly, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Unless you’re the lounge. Then if you’re not on phase-change cooled 5GHZ overclocked X99 you’re garbage.

That is not true…

Any older thinkpad or inspiron as well as the pre-iphone desktop mac designs (not imacs) are criminally underrated.

X99 is almost old enough it’s something you’d own. Lounge is on X299 now.

1 Like

My main machine up until 2014 was a core 2 duo e8400 & 9800GTX+. I wish the board hadnt died on it, I’d still be using it for things today.

People would be surprised how big a difference a little more ram and an SSD makes on a PC.

My personal laptop is a first gen Intel i5-540m (maybe 520m, too bothered to go check), with 8gb ram and an SSD. My work laptop is a much newer Intel i5 (again, to bothered to check… 2 year old laptop), with 8gb ram and a spinny disk.

My personal laptop runs way better. I’ve honestly thought about just buying and SSD for my work laptop just because it’s that painful to work on. However, I think when we start out next big project I’m just going to ask for a newer laptop with more ram and SSD.

Oh, my personal laptop also runs Solus, and my work machine runs Windows 10. Even with Linux on my work laptop, it would still be garbage due to the lack of SSD…

Got a IBM T42 that has a Pentium M 1.6Ghz and a 40GB IDE SSD in it that is a trip to play with. It’s a bit buggy when it boots as it wasn’t really designed to have something as fast as an SSD in it. Main laptop is a x201t with an i5-560m and a 60GB adata SP600 in it and for a laptop I don’t really need faster.