Shirt/Hoodie design thread. - Post your designs

I don't know. In my opinion there should be more. And at least some text. Something like this:

If this is going to be a thing @wendell should post a graphics resource .zip so we aren't just cutting out the logo from screenshots of the videos and guessing at the font. RGB values and stuff like that would be good too...

I remember way back when, Wendell said in an episode of Inbox or the Tek that he wanted a T-shirt that said "grokking grep since 1985".

Here's a chance to make something like that a reality.

2 Likes

I believe we've been waiting on posting a thread like this until we hear back from @kreestuh or @wendell regarding whether or not they want to use community developed content for the store. I suggest holding off until they post an official topic.

@kreestuh is doing some stuff and may be AFK for a bit. Here's the skinny: I don't want to speak for her, she's the most succint speaker here on this topic. Spec work is the devil. We work in the industry and the development industry has a lot of the same ptifalls and problems as the creative industry.

Generally speaking, we think it is wrong to make a request of the audience such as: "Do some cool stuff we intend to make money off of, and we'll give you some sort of token pay if we decide it is cool."

We're just as excited as y'all are, just to do it for the fun of doing it, and want to sort of run around like crazy people spraying all the stuff everywhere.

So I think it would be our preference to steer a thread like this toward making art that the community can enjoy -- things like level1 wallpapers and fun stuff like that. And if out of that there is something we can turn into shirts our mousepads, then that is great.

@kreestuh is also working on some artwork around those, and some really funny (at least it seems so, have to sort of see if it wears out fast) "Milk Raptor" stuff. It'll be a while before we ramp up the products. All the up-front investment for this kind of stuff comes from our own pockets, sort of on risk, which is fine and we set it up so this stuff can't negatively affect the core mission of content production (though it can positively affect it in that revenues from this can help us defray production costs and various expenses from people to equipment and props).

TLDR: So while we want to encourage the audience to let their creative juices flow, we are very sensitive to "exploiting" our position with the audience. So to any artists we would say do it first to share your art with the community and not because it is something we're asking for, or some type of contest or whatever it might be construed as.

Of course something might become part of our collective memory (haha milk raptor anyone!?) totally organically, and then we'd want to do products of course. It's just too funny not to! The audience's enthusiasm is infectious with us, for sure.

We had discussed with the moderators and @Zoltan suggested when we did a creative thread that we let everyone know that they should only upload their work under a Creative Commons type license. Perhaps he can weigh in real quick here.

More on Spec Work and why it should never, ever be tolerated by workers in the industry: http://www.nospec.com/ "Hey do some funny shirts for us and if we use it, we'll pay you" is just not something, ethically, any of us can stomach. And if you work in the industry, it shouldn't be tolerated either. Read the nospec site and understand why if this seems weird, because it does come up often. :-\

p.s. we love you all, you creative hobos!

11 Likes

We just don't want any favouritism and want equal chances for everyone to see their work presented and featured in the same way. Equal opportunity means that everybody needs to be very much in sync on what EXACTLY the rights of everyone are, INCLUDING THE AUDIENCE.

This endeavour is very much community-centric. It was the community that drove the split from Logan - against his will and actions - because Logan took things away from the community. What he tried to take away was the ability for some to participate. Therefore, it is important to have a clear and transparent system in place, that leaves no place to any doubt for any party, and that is community-centric and guarantees equal opportunity for everyone.

When it comes to artwork, things cannot be objectively measured... people have different talents and different methods... some will come up with a killer idea and design in two seconds, others will sweat and bleed over a good concept for hours if not days... we won't do any measuring. Read the nospec site linked by Wendell to get an understanding of why we won't play the measuring game... it is not fair!

This is about transparency, therefore it is best to just throw all cards on the table facing upwards:

1. L1T would like designs for the products it sells to the community, and would like the community to pick those designs, because L1T wants to community to have what the community wants.
  2. L1T has a creative community, therefore members of that community invariably will take certain designs or parts of designs or ideas from designs, and use them without prior authorisation in their own creations. L1T doesn't want to be either part or intermediary in any discussion about rights. It could also happen that members of the community coincidently appear in coverage videos by L1T with those creations, or wearing L1T apparel. L1T does not want to deal with rights issues over that, and does not want to create a situation whereby videos might be flagged by creators that think they've been dealt short.
  3. L1T is a growing and strong brand, there was almost no loss of members or visitors on the forum during the transition, the content production has gone up, and the brand is confirmed with a focused approach that was missing before the transition. That means that L1T has something to offer in terms of publicity. The community partly builds up this brand, therefore creators that benefit the community, can also benefit from the exposure offered by the brand and the community, and the presence of those on Youtube, Twitch and other channels, and of course the SEO status that comes with all of that.

Conclusion:

L1T will seek designs by community members that will be submitted to a voting process by the community. Popular or particularly liked designs may then be featured on L1T products for commercial purposes, and may be used by community members for non-commercial purposes. All uses of the designs will always imply attribution, in the form of the creator's name and his web or email address.

What does that mean:

That means that every creator who submits a creation to L1T, acknowledges that his creation is submitted explicitly under the following annotated CC license:

• the creator confirms that his creation is original and does not touch copyrights or other rights owned by third parties;
  • the creator submits his design under a Creative Commons license with Attribution, non-commercially for everyone except for L1T, that shall enjoy unlimited rights to commercial use. The creator shall also submit the name and web or email address to be used in the attributive mention;
  • The creator acknowledges that the designs will be features in videos, in images on websites, in images and videos on various social media and websites, etc... as part of the CC licensing;
  • the creator shall not sell other licenses to the design;
  • the creator acknowledges that creative commons means that the design may be used in a reworked, altered, partial or processed state by L1T or the community, and that the creator has no control over the emanations of his design in the hands of the community members;
  • the creator acknowledges that L1T cannot guarantee a certain exposure, as this is completely dependent of the acceptation and popularity of the designs by the community. L1T guarantees though that the products that will feature the designs, will be of such a quality level as to not put the creator in a negative daylight.

By submitting a design, a creator acknowledges the aforementioned annotated CC licensing, and explicitly agrees with the community spirit and openness that is very important for the L1T community.

If L1T would at any point in time decide to recompense a creator, it cannot be interpreted as consideration for the licensing of the design in any way. The sole compensation for submitting the designs under the license terms as aformentioned will be the exposure the designs get with the atrribution of choice of the creator.

7 Likes

Make Tek Great Again !

The no spec site is great, and kind of outlines my thinking as someone working in the creative industry. I get a lot of contests thrown my way by well meaning people who say "do it for the exposure" or "you get paid if you win" etc. Those are great perks if it works out, but if I spend this time and effort and nothing comes of it, I've basically devalued my work and in a round about way, the work of others who now feel pressure to work for free.

We love love love the support and enthusiasm from this community, and want to do our best to encourage fan participation. We just want to make sure we do right by you all and don't also contribute to unfair practices. Still working out some of the specifics but hope to find a good middle ground that allows fan contribution and is still ethically sound. :)

3 Likes
9 Likes

Sorry for posting this in the wrong thread earlier, I hope this complies with the rules. This is a not really a design submission, but a germ of an idea submission that I can re-work anyway you like if you chose that L1T wants to produce the artwork. It's just for fun. These images are not complete, but merely low-res sketches to see if Level1Techs members enjoy it. This is not a design sales pitch or anything. I had an idea tonight, I drew it before I forgot and I'm sharing it.

I was thinking of blending Level 1 as in the ground level of a building with Space Invaders. I tried to ensure that Level1Techs would not get sued for copyright infringement, so I invented a "new" retro game. Called
'Space Robot Virtual Invasion'. I think the name clicks all the right marketing buzzwords. Shoot the bots from space before they stomp your buildings, a completely different and unique game play IP from Space Invaders.

The LEVELONETECHS typography is in the same place as the Earth on the Atari 2600 version. I made it scruffy to represent the dirt in order to take advantage of my 2016 GPU. The cannon pointer is the V in Level turned upside down. The damaged "pixels" where the robots have been stomping on them are hand drawn to be randomish. Robot B is leaning a bit because you shot him dead. Red Robot A, C and E are an old tin windup toy. At first I liked the windup key until I noticed it looked phallic. Blue Robots B and D are some bizarro Chinese Space Walk Man toy.

Credit to @imaximus 4K wallpaper thread for the logo and typography.

5 Likes

I dont know why but this reminds me of kraftwerk we are the robots. lol. That's about the sophistication level of my musical palette anyway.

4 Likes

I program my home computer... Feed my sounds into the future...

1 Like

Hey wendell, greetings from Germany… Anyway, here a Design that is popular among my colleagues that I designed myself that would really fit in… Also discourse doesn't like SVG, so hit me up for the sauce

1 Like

Sorry, first version got skewed, SVG Path and all that

Ha!
The design was also influenced by 'RAMPAGE' and 'Tetris' but after you mentioned Kraftwerk, I have to add that the design is influenced by a 'LED VU meter'. I love Kraftwerk, hadn't heard We are the robots in a while, thanks for that. This track should be considered one of L1T's un-official theme songs.

2 Likes

I love Kraftwerks ! SOOOO Far ahead of their time. This album had several hits. Numbers/ Home Computer the best !

Some ideas for text on shirts (the formatting/layout of these quotes would vary)

• There is no place like ~
  • Unix is user-friendly. It's just picky about who its friends are.
  • What is a Unix or Linux sysadmin’s favourite hangout place? Foo Bar.
  • What kind of doctor fixes broken websites? A URLologist.
  • Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
  • Beware of programmers that carry screwdrivers.
  • The code that is the hardest to debug is the code that you know cannot possibly be wrong.

0voters

Choose up to 7 options

Votes are public.

^ The above for tshirts and/or maybe posters? Not sure, just spitballing. The jokes the answer maybe is on the back.

We are open to other thoughts and ideas for the store. And are working on more, but not quite ready to share yet.

I want a funny shirt about replication not being a backup.

I'm just not funny enough to come up with anything.

"You wouldn't replicate a bear!"

Also, a linux shirt, the idea being me and tux, the linux penguin mascot, hugging kinda like this calvin and hobbes cartoon:

8 Likes

beware if programmers that carry screwdrivers??? Dammit, why? ,am i a terrorist now?

and am serious i didn't knew it was a thing......but i want this idea to be scrapped! you don't need to worry for them its harmless!