Shielding PCI-e Extenders

@gigabit Do you remember how much you spent on that? It doesn't show a cost while out of stock. If it's a good price drop from those $88 cables I may just have to start watching those amazon listings like a hawk.

@anon5205053 Yeah, a sound card seems like it would be problematic.

Fortunately from what I know the Realtek 1220 that is in every AM4 board is pretty good if I recall correctly, and I run digital out (via DTS Connect) to two receivers from my PC anyway so analog doesn't really factor in except for headphones which I can easily use a USB DAC or another optical cable for.

Also I will be running a single GPU and most of that cable will be tucked in behind a stainless steel plate....wonder if maybe I should just try running a cheap unshielded cable to see how it works. Worst case scenario I can turn the testing into an interesting build log.

Now I just need to finish putting together my little AM4 PC nest egg so I can buy everything and get this .DXF to the waterjet place :P (Oh...and I need the dang X370 Taichi boards to be back in stock already

$29.99, bless America!

Oh damn, that actually might be worth waiting for it to come back in stock then, that is almost $50 cheaper.

Do you have ebay where you live? I found these:

200mm
300mm

They're called Li-Heat Co Ltd., I checked out their website and they are legit. They also have good reviews, from USA costumers no less. They're Taiwanese based and they dedicate on making PCI extensions for server level environments. They do rigorous testing for the cables it seems.

(That's their 1m version on the bench)

My only gripe is the long shipping time, if you buy now you might get it sometime next month (that means anytime between the beginning and last week of April). Good price though.

edit:
BTW, they make the PCI extension cables with integrated shielding already. Also, you mention power button for your build? Your choice of mother should have a power button right on the mobo, no? Otherwise, you can get this from the same company:

(Luminescent pushbutton switch mainframe computer)

That's interesting indeed. Honestly the Ryzen build is prolly at least a month out from happening anyway so they might be a good option.

Power switch wise I have tons of colored led angel eye switches in my parts bins so I will probably just use one of those. I bought a bunch cuz I like the look.

1 Like

Looked a little more into the Li-heat cables and found this, interesting if anyone is curious about how they are shielded.

1 Like

Looks like the braided sleeving is more than just aesthetics, a very practical design.

Yeah I think I'll have to give those cables a try. They look pretty solid. Can't order them for a bit though, stuff came up and now I'm gonna be moving in the next two months it looks like, so it's not the time to order things from China lol.

1 Like