Return to Level1Techs.com

Share Your Interview Tips and Feedback

I thought it might be interesting for people to share their tips for interviews, or feedback they’ve have for interviews.

If you want to share some info, please give a rough idea of the interview type (technical, manager, labour, etc.).

I had an interview today, technical/corp type interview, questions are focused around what you’ve done in x situation. Big initial tip for me is to be mindful of the use of ‘we’ instead of ‘I’. there looking for what you have done, i have a tendency to default to ‘we’ because you know… team work and all that, and i think it was drilled in from uni when doing research you used the “royal we” you referred to everything as “we concluded” “we researched” even if it was just you.

One to be careful about as it can be detrimental to your interview.

8 Likes

That sounds like a good idea with the teamwork- at work here, We do an amazing job fulfilling customers particular requests, but sometimes I make a mistake.
For an interview, I helped the customer resolve this issue by providing this particular skill, would probably be more what an interviewer would be after…

2 Likes

When interviewing for technical positions (systems administrator, build/release engineer, etc.) lead with a problem you had and how you solved the problem. Saying “I administered Apache servers” isn’t as impressive as “We had a cluster of web and application servers that had large media files. I worked on getting those media files cached and improved load times.”

While not directly part of the interview, I have always had my personal projects on my resume with links to the projects and it has been a conversation starter in my last three interviews. I was asked about and spoke more about my projects than I did my work experience and education combined. Definitely have a projects section or technical scope on your resume.

3 Likes

Especially if you only had a couple jobs or are coming out of high school/college. It makes you look like a hard worker. And it can open conversations, which you can use to your advantage to make yourself more likable/rememberable.

3 Likes

that’s good advice, but be mindful that some companies like (startups) also like teamwork, so try to explain it in a way that describes your contribution to the team and not everything as a solo player.

in interviews is also good to show problems you encounter you did not know how to solve, and walk trough the interviewer on how you found out how to fix it, the though pattern or your ability to research and find information. show your self sufficient (in my time finding and interviewing people for my team in the past i found this was the most lacking still overall, people just said i don’t know. and that’s about it, no resolution, nada.)

again in startups if your junior and dont really have tons of experience. try to show off anything in particular your fond of that maybe of interest. have a home kubernetes cluster running of 10 pi’s? talk about it how you set it up or any cool stuff you done with it. have a bunch IoT devices gathering metrics of everything that happens at home and you have a grafana influxdb/prometheus backend? talk about it show off your dashboards or anything cool. a lot of times start-ups are desperate for good people even if their not super senior.

2 Likes

Please be mindfull, that not all previous employers or Customers are happy to have them Named or linked to in non internal Documentation.
Although Websites being public, not every company is fine with you telling another company who does the background work. In general it’s at least provided to ask whom ever you are referring to, if they are fine with it.

1 Like

I was referring to personal projects. I can see how that was confusing. I’ll make an edit.

2 Likes

I haven’t been on an interview in a while. But one thing I always found to be important was maintaining a good flow to the interview. This often means having prepared answers for the most terrible questions that you don’t wish to answer. You know what I’m talking about, it’s the what is your weakness, where do you see yourself in 5 years, tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge, ETC. I find that when they ask these questions and everyone sits there silently, the interview becomes memorable for the wrong reasons.

One of my favorite questions to get is, “is there anythings else you can tell us about yourself?” (or the “what makes you the most qualified candidate for the job?”) question. I also love that they usually ask you this after you’ve given them you life story. However, these are key because if they’ve asked you this, they have asked it to everyone else whom they’ve interviewed. If you wow them with your response, you will have a definite leg up. I usually go into a small rant about how I’m just an overall handy person to have around and give examples of non-work related problems that I’ve helped solve at work, things like fixing broken locks , doors and other items, troubleshooting copier issues, moving refrigerators, etc. Oddly enough, this stuff always goes over really well with interviewers because you convey that you can contribute to the team/company in ways that not even they had thought of.

3 Likes

A good piece of advice I was given was to just ask “What problem are you trying to solve by hiring me”

Makes it easier to focus on why they may ask you certain questions and you can frame your answers in a way that makes you look best for the position

2 Likes

Yes, to be fair i think all companies prefer this. However, the key is probably to listen at the start of the interview, understand what kind of interview it is.

While teamwork is of value, some interviews are generally about the candidate. “How did you handle x situation?”

So its worth knowing what kind of interview it is then being mindful of how your answering questions. Probably not an issue with small companies, but larger companies seem to have “procedure” to follow when it comes to hiring practices, and if you don’t answer how you did something on a question asking how you did something. then you might not get the job.

0 Likes

so more self-promoting rather than boasting?

0 Likes

I think in this case for this type of interview the majority of the questions were geared to find out if you are capable of making decisions, handling situations, and think. Rather than someone who just follows the orders of someone else. So most of the questions were around how you personally handled things.

1 Like

definitely, thats why i used the word startup in my recommendations, i hired a couple of 3-5 people teams in the last 5 years but always in startup companies (small companies up to 100’ish employees) my tips have no knowledge of big companies as i have not worked or applied to one in over 10 years.

1 Like