Shady behaviour by Spotify desktop client observed with Wireshark. Expertise appreciated!

you block specific vm scripts from triggering from the dev console in the browser…
i have no idea on mobile.
it seems a lot of the crap your seeing isnt in the web browser, just there mobile app.

oh and thats the web browser shitting itself on spotify… so many errors, and its typical when you use ublock origin.
if you can, put something like opera gx on your mobile and sign into spotify with that.
you can then add ublock to opera as an extension which you cant with the spotify app.

The PLL doesnt like to be @ lol. Hi PLL. Dont die on the mountains, you dummy, if you are reading this.

1 Like

noted. fixed. apologies.

1 Like

your solution?.

I think the occasional @ is ok. IIRC someone was in the Lounge @ him a lot and he got annoyed. Ill go bother him in his thread.

It because of that thread I @ cuz knowledge

1 Like

last time i asked about black holing dns calls… he sent me to this.
he also has some stuff on firewalls, rainbowtables and the likes.
tbh its all a bit overwhelming but i still go back for reference :slight_smile:

3 Likes

this is good stuff! i have actually been meaning to do some extras on the pihole, its pretty stock currently

Its so out of date but yeah still applies. I havent done much in a while. Got a lot of other projects

4 Likes

If it is American in origin, you can be assured they are spying on you. When Google forced location services on for every app, regardless of actual need, that told me how valued that data was to them. US politicians have received so much lobby financing cash that there is almost no protections in law. The laws that do exist are continually amended to be weaker and weaker.

At least the EU has decent privacy protections and isn’t subject to the same levels of legislative bribery. However, they are a weak voice in the face of a hurricane.

And the truth is, the vast majority simply don’t know or even care. As long as they get onto FaceTube and have access to their daily cat videos, they are happy.

“a well-informed electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy”

I can’t seem to find any results for “does Spotify use ultrasonic beacon?”

Surely I am not the first to stumble on this.

So… two potential routes to attack this.

Path #1: Audio analysis.

The strings suggest it happens during voice ads. Since the tones are meant to be picked up be phones, I think a simple phone recording would suffice. If not, I could borrow a zoom recorder for a higher quality samples.

Put on the podcast, wait for ads and record a bunch of audio samples during voice ads.

Then throw it in a spectogram to easily visualize the patterns in the 18kHz+ part of the spectrum. (I’m a big fan of the spectogram in foobar2k)

Looking for something like this:

Source: from the ‘Privacy Threats through Ultrasonic Side Channels on Mobile Devices’ paper link in previous post.

And dig more into the existing detection techniques.

Path #2: chase the calls

Checking my notes again, this is where I got lazy last time. I remember now trying to chase the paths and xrefs, and ran into a bunch of “do nothing functions”

Meaning a bunch of calls were wrapped with funtions that did nothing and then returned. Obfuscation.

**************************************************************
                             *                          FUNCTION                          *
                             **************************************************************
                             undefined FUN_026f8900()
             undefined         AL:1           <RETURN>
                             FUN_026f8900                                    XREF[3]:     0083bc88, 010dee18(*), 
                                                                                          thunk_FUN_026f8900:026f88f0(T), 
                                                                                          thunk_FUN_026f8900:026f88f0(j)  
        026f8900 48 89 f8        MOV        RAX,RDI
        026f8903 c3              RET

Which essentially translates to

undefined8 FUN_026f8900(undefined8 param_1) {
    return param_1;
}

I had to learn what is a ‘thunk’

Thunk function: a thunk is a subroutine used to inject a calculation into another subroutine. Thunks are primarily used to delay a calculation until its result is needed, or to insert operations at the beginning or end of the other subroutine: Thunk - Wikipedia

A thunk is another word for a function. But it’s not just any old function. It’s a special (and uncommon) name for a function that’s returned by another. Basically a wrapped function:

function wrapper_function() {
    // this one is a "thunk" because it defers work for later:
    return function thunk() {   // it can be named, or anonymous
        console.log('do stuff now');
    };
}

Anywho, this was a common pattern. I started renaming these functions manually as func_donothing_xxxxxx()
But there were to many, I got tired of renaming these manually. Who’d a thunc it?

So I started looking at Ghidra’s scripting capabilities.

The pattern itself is very easy to detect.

• they all seem to do the same thing which is just return the parameter that was passed to the function. or just return immediately and do absolutely literally nothing.
  • they seem to be in close proximity
026f10c0		48 89 f8 c3 cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc <-- bs func A
026f10d0		48 89 f8 c3 cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc <-- bs func B
026f10e0		48 89 f8 c3 cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc <-- bs func C
026f10f0		c3 cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc <-- variation of BS func that just ret instead of returning the parameter

I wanted to write a function to detect these “do nothing” thuncs and funcs and rename them for me so I don’t waste time stepping into them.

I started reading about the scripting functions but got busy with other things. This is where I stopped.

This is a great channel: https://www.youtube.com/@0x6d696368

Probably better to exhaust approach #1 first as it seems like less work.

2 Likes