Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition coming to Linux and Mac OS

https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/1005/

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition will come to macOS and Linux on 5 November of this year. This edition will include Shadow of the Tomb Raider as well as included DLC. There will of course be a release for the Xbox One and PS4 and PC.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider was a huge hit at E3 2018 and was originally released for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in September of that year. The developers of the game didn’t want to stop with those platforms tho, last year they stated that they would have a port for Linux coming out at a letter point in time.

Personally I am more of a fan for FPS games then these adventure types. But what do you think? Will you pick it up? And for what platform/OS?

3 Likes

Ohh, I liked Rise on Linux, Shadow might be more of the same?

I wonder why they’re bothering. SOTR runs great on Proton already. Maybe they ported to their platform for MacOS and it was a trivial amount of work to get it on Linux too.

Oh cool, Linux ports are always welcome. :slight_smile:

Enjoyed the 2013 Tomb Raider a lot and the second game is waiting in my steam library. I will definitely pick up Shadow of the Tomb Raider as well once I finish Rise.

2 Likes

No matter why, ANY big game that’s getting a native Linux release, even if later in it’s cycle, is a plus in my book. I’ll certainly buy it, if just to influence the steam statistic towards Linux a bit.

While Proton is a great solution, i’d prefer more native releases for linux. Not because they run better, but because it comes with support from the studio. Proton often doesn’t.

5 Likes

Recently got around to finishing Rise, good timing. I’m sure it’ll find a spot under the tree if i can find a way to package a digital download.

So… tell me…

If Apple goes ARM… this means they’d port it to ARMacOS?

Or are the rumours just about the macbooks?

No one knows yet and if it does likely that all current software will not run natively on it. Just like when they switched to Intel over PPC, it was emulators and VMs to get the old stuff working till they just killed the support.

So speculating on the speculation of a rumour of a guess, no this will not bring shadow of the tomb raider to your android phone.

inb4 shadow of the tomb raider confirmed on fuchsia

haha, yeah, bye

1 Like

I will buy it when it comes out. I loved the first two games. Love to play them on Linux instead of windows.

Currently playing everything on windows cause I somehow broke dxvk, and don’t know how I did it. And I’ve borked everything so bad that I just would rather restart everything from scratch when the next Ubuntu LTS comes out. Cause yeah, I’m an Ubuntu nut. I know, I’m wrong for being so.

A native Vulkan renderer would mean this game can finally be a proper Linux benchmarking tool. Other benchmarks like Strange Brigade and Ashes of the Singularity all have broken launchers using Vulkan and Proton, and DXVK introduces CPU bottlenecks.

What’s desperately needed are Vulkan ports of UE4 games because DXVK is limited by the single threaded nature of DX11 on UE4. (and there’s no way to fix that without patching in pthreads)

And we need fixes for all the millions of launchers some Vulkan games on Windows are opting to use.