SFF server using 2.5" drives in 5.25" bays - case recommendation needed

Hi guys,

I am planning to do a DIY server/RDP/gaming/everything build based on AMDs high core count CPUs. I just need one recommendation: a case that will suit my needs.

I will use a 8 2.5" to 2 5.25" backplane/dock to hold my hdds and now need a small form factor case to house the icy dock. This is somewhat tricky since ODDs are somewhat out of fashion ;).

So if you could hook me up with a case that would house this beauty and provide either mITX or µATX AS WELL AS be able to support big AIR COOLERS (NH-D15S) and a single powerful GPU you would make me very happy. I also happen to like (case) windows but since I cannot even find one suitable match which isn’t fat or ugly I can only hope for your wisdom :slight_smile:

Thank you!

HDDs or SSDs? Cooling will be a consideration

HDDs mainly. Cooling is provided by the docks 80mm fan(s). So there will not be a problem, since the particular dock is a full metal construction and heat dissipation should be very good. Additionally the HDDs will serve as cold storage mostly and be able to spin down accordingly :slight_smile:

What kind of GPU are you using. Because for SFF, its harder to find a case with an ODD and full height full width card instead of a half height half width/full width card

Almost certainly not happening
I’ll take a look but it’s not looking good

Only thing I know of that’s even remotely close to checking all the boxes.

It might not fit an NH-D15, but something like the Dark Rock Pro 4 or Fuma 2 provide similar cooling and are a smidge shorter.

Here’s a link to a parts list I made a while ago for a relatively tiny flash NAS, with the case I’d pick, if that helps. Again though, only half-height PCIe cards would fit so the GPU options would be limited to like a 1650

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. I think I will go with the Silverstone Temjin 08-E (since it is the smallest one at 30l), but it leaves me kind of disappointed so I might delay the purchase and try to find another case (or even build one).

has anyone by chance ever heard of this case?

These are what I found by searching the brand on Newegg
https://www.newegg.com/product/9SIA2W08M64305?m_ver=1
https://www.newegg.com/product/9SIA00Y42U9124?m_ver=1
A little expensive for what they are, maybe you can find them cheaper elsewhere

Istar is known for their niche bay adapters and the like back when NAS wasn’t as popular

Thank you. It’s very cool case at 19l. I just would have to get rid of the useless additional 2.5" bay and figure out how to fit in a dual slot GPU. Maybe watercooling? Anyway. I am from Germany and it is not sold locally so I might be just out of luck since import duties would be a nightmare, I guess. Trade wars really don’t help consuming US products.

Anyway: Is there some Chinese company which has a similar design? Normally they would copy good products, wouldn’t they?

Have you tried looking on AliExpress, you might find a clone or the real deal and should ship reasonable from china

Well. I have not. Do you have any suggestions? I am not too familiar with Chinese shopping sites :slight_smile:

I’ve had good luck with aliexpress, the shipping time is VERY long but that’s the nature of chinese shipping to other countries
Read reviews with pictures

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.