Setup Wine to run Doom 2016

I borrowed a friends copy of Doom, because I wanted to see if it would run on my Computer first before I go out and purchase my own copy, and I was wondering if anyone here knows how to set it up on wine, so I can play it on Linux 17.10. I tried to google instructions on Google but didn’t find any instruction that didn’t require me to install steam first and purchase the game through Steam. Can anyone help me with this problem?

I’m fairly certain the retail copy installer will never work for you because it has denuvo still baked into it.

1 Like

Well as I understand it his retail copy installer has Deneuve removed from it, if that is the case how would I accomplish my goal?

unless its a retail copy that was shipped without denuvo at all, the initial installation will still have denuvo which will, afaik, make installing and updating in wine not possible

1 Like

I just checked with my friend and it is a retail copy that was shipped without denuvo at all.

if that’s the case I recommend you install either install wine-staging (you might have to find another guide for this) or install playonlinux and use it to create a wine environment (wine bottle) using the latest wine-staging. then use their option to install a program not on their list and point it at the setup.exe on the install disc.

1 Like

ok thanks, I will try that.

I feel I should also ask what gpu you have because you may run into different issues depending on what you have

1 Like

I have an Nividia 670.

Before going any further, ALWAYS RUN WINE WITH NORMAL PRIVILEGES. NEVER EVER RUN WINE AS ROOT OR SUPERUSER.

You’ll want to install winetricks first, then uninstall the version of Wine that came with winetricks, then install Wine Staging and wine-staging-compat, then use winetricks to install the corefonts and vcrun2015 packages into your .wine folder.

You’ll want to enable CSMT and VA-API in winecfg.

And please use a Debian based distro. Fedora is not as well maintained for Wine Staging and nobody’s going to fix bugs specific for Fedora. Wine users and debuggers primarily use Ubuntu.

1 Like

I am using Ubuntu with Linux Kernel 4.14.3 I believe. OK I guess the errors I keep getting when I try to install Doom 2016 are caused by Play On Linux, So I guess I will have to remove Play On Linux and the version of Wine I have installed, then install Winetricks remove the version of Wine that came with Winetricks, and install the latest version of Wine Staging and Wine staging Compat, then enable CSMT and VA-API in Winecfg, then install Doom 2016.

If you EVER ran Wine as root, delete your .wine folder, it’s as good as dead. Run every Wine related command as a standard user.

I’d recommend starting fresh anyways with a clean prefix after getting Wine Staging setup. Winetricks will have to install stuff into the prefix, so do that after you do your initial winecfg.

1 Like

I think one of the reasons I am having so much trouble installing Doom 2016 is I only have an Administrator account for Ubuntu, so I might have installed Play On Linux and Wine as a Root user or as the superuser. I will setup a standard user account and see if I have better luck after I clean up the mess I created.

MOST DEFINITELY. You have to run Wine as a standard user. THAT’S MANDATORY.

1 Like

Ok I have removed Play On Linux, Windows version of Steam, and the version of Wine I had on my Laptop, I created a standard user account, so how do I get Doom 2016 running natively on Linux. I did a google search and the only instructions I could find required me to install the windows version of steam then install Doom 2016 through it, but I don’t want to set it up that way. I all ready have a retail copy with copy protection on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?