Setup Guide for a Fedora/CentOS media server?

My server has become screwy as of late.

It currently is Ubuntu 18.04 Server

I run the following services:

• SABNzbd
  • Sonarr
  • Emby-Server
  • SFTP
  • (Want to run) NFS
  • (Interested in running) ZeroTier for remote network linking ( would potentially allow me to not have to pay for Emby Premier to watch media from my server remotely. )

I have been having issues with NFS lately in that when I set it up, I can not access it even with ports and services allowed in the Firewall. I have tried Firewalld and UFW to no avail. If I disable the firewall, I can access the NFS.

Also, RPC-Bind doesnt work so yeah. Might be related to the Firewall.
My current server also has a lot of bloat crap from other services I have setup and then killed off.

I have Cockpit but for whatever reason, Ubuntu wont let it start at boot which essentially negates the whole ability to remotely admin it.
Ubuntu has also been preventing Emby-Server from automatically starting at boot too.

I am interested in either a Fedora 28 or CentOS server.

Would someone be so kind as to post step by step instructions (commands to input etc) to setup a functioning media server with most if not all the services I use?

All my media sits in the /mnt/Media LVM2 array.
Traditionally I have had the User:Group setup with [my-username:Media] so that anyone with the Media group can access it but only my username can edit it.

My folks access via Emby
I usually access via SFTP but Kodi 18 Leia has SFTP disabled (you have to manually compile the binary addon and then compile Kodi with it)
Kodi still has NFS access along with WebDAV and SMB/RSS feeds.

I am definitely interested in setting up a SoftEther/ZeroTier connection so I can link my folks network to mine so I dont have to pay for Emby Premium to stream to them. This is especially useful seeing as how I store their entire DVD/VHS library on my server. I backed up their entire physical medium library to my server. Now they just stream their movies and TV shows i backed up from my server.

I have also seen in kodi where I can use Zeroconf? Yet I can not seem to find any complete setup guide for a ZeroConf server let alone if it is Intra-Net only or if it would work over the InterNet as well.

1 Like

I think Emby on Ubuntu gets the most attention from the devs. I ran it on CentOS for a while and updates were very infrequent and late.

sudo systemctl enable cockpit.service should work. What version of Ubuntu, and how did you install cockpit?

Can you containerize or virtualize any of this instead of switching OS’s? No reason why Ubuntu can’t do these things for you.

If you can find me a detailed, working containerization setup, ill run it that way.
Even so, my current server build is full of crap that doesnt need to be there. Different projects I have tried over the years. Not to mention this is a server running Ubuntu 18.04 x64 that was upgraded from 17.04 which was upgraded from 16.04.

I tried the cockpit.service part and it gives me some nonsense about waiting on sockets and such as to why it cant start at boot.

Im thinking that a Fedora server or CentOs Server might be the better route. Especially if it uses containers.

As far as Emby goes, I am actually trying to phase that out and go straight Kodi–>SFTP/NFS/ZeroTier/SoftEther setup

If I can get the network share services and ZeroTier/SoftEther working then I woudnt need Emby.

ZeroTier and SoftEther would need to be setup so that only external traffic goes out over them and internal network traffic uses the standard network.

Ideally, I would like to set up my networking so that I have 3 interfaces. 1 for IntraNet/LAN, 1 for VPN External connection (SABNzbd etc), and 1 SoftEther/ZeroTier for connecting family networks to mine for easier media service.

If that makes any sense.

1 Like

If that’s the case, then I’d say go for it. I don’t have any hands-on experience with SABNzbd or Sonarr, but certainly Cockpit and NFS are very easy to configure in CentOS and Fedora.

If you do want to stick with Emby, you can always run an Ubuntu VM.

Considering all of that, you could probably get everything working on a fresh Ubuntu install, but it’s also an opportunity to try something new, so I don’t think there’s a wrong answer really.

Can you point me to good guides for NFS on Fedora 28 Server? Also maybe something on setting up ZeroTier/SoftEther? Especially if it shows how to set it up so that external traffic runs over it and internal traffic runs over standard LAN? Maybe something that lets me set up say 3 Virtual NICs over 1 internal NIC and segment traffic based on the service running? Like SABNzbd would only run over PIA VPN. The server would accept LAN traffic normally. And the SoftEther/ZeroTier traffic would be for anything else that connects externally.

sudo systemctl enable cockpit.socket This one always trips me up. Add the --now to enable and start it immediately

1 Like

hmmmm. Starts it but cant access remotely even though it is added to the firewall and allowed through my router.

1 Like

Fedora Server is basically the same as Fedora Workstation but they just come with different packages installed by default. You can install and remove packages to get the same experience between the two.

tbh, I don’t know what ZeroTier or SoftEther are, but from is your NFS server v3 or v4? That (slightly) changes how you mount them, at least with /etc/fstab

https://www.softether.org

• SoftEther VPN (“SoftEther” means “Software Ethernet”) is one of the world’s most powerful and easy-to-use multi-protocol VPN software. It runs on Windows, Linux, Mac, FreeBSD and Solaris.

SoftEther VPN is open source. You can use SoftEther for any personal or commercial use for free charge.

https://www.zerotier.com

• ZeroTier delivers the capabilities of VPNs, SDN, and SD-WAN with a single system. Manage all your connected resources across both local and wide area networks as if the whole world is a single data center

If you can go to https://localhost:9090 on the Fedora machine, then the problem is not with the Fedora machine. You can try nmap -p 9090 <router's external IP> I don’t know your internet config though so YMMV

im on Ubuntu. I also use NoIP for a redirect.

oh… That looks complicated… Have fun with that!

Oh, well everything I said should still apply to Ubuntu

My bad, socket is correct.

1 Like

Easiest way to setup a home server with all the standard NZB stuff is to grab a bunch of docker images from Linuxserver.io and control them with Portainer. Doesn’t matter which distro you run with containers.

Plex will let you stream without paying anything. Also NZBget is much better than sabnzbd.

2 Likes

Actually, what about Emby’s paid tier do you need? From what I remember it was just for trailers and other “bonus” features.

1 Like

Let’s not start a flame war here

But Emby is wayyyyyy better than Plex

1 Like

Either one is fine, and up to personal preference, but I used Emby and I don’t remember hitting a wall in the free version. That said, I paid for the lifetime license years ago so if something’s changed I wouldn’t know.

The Emby server makes you pay to stream outside your network. Same with Plex. Hence the ZeroTier/SoftEther.

Which can be circumvented.

You guys can even try accessing that site if you want.

1 Like