Setting up a Router to pass tro everything to another one

Hi Guys,

I’m using a Netgear R8500 as my main Router. It handled Port forwarding, dhcp, etc.
My ISP just assigns an IP Adress with no auth or anything else.
Now I want to introduce a Rutx09 (teltonika) as failover router and basiclly pass everything to the Netgear.
How do I set that up? How do I tell the Netgear to use the Rutx09 as the “internet gateway” and how do I still enable all the port forwarding, etc on the netgear?

Right now I’ve disable the DHCP for the rutx09 and gave it a static IP… What’s next?

I think you’re confused about how to set things up.

you probably want your rutx09 doing everything including firewalling/port forwarding/all the internet handling, and you can use your r8500 as an additional switch or a dumb accesspoint (ie. disable dhcp on r8500, don’t use the wan port)

normally folks would just install openwrt on r8500 and plug in a $30-$50 usb lte modem, and use mwan3 on top of openwrt for failover.

I was expecting the r8500 to be more powerfull than the rutx09, so I would have the rutx be in some kind of “modem only” mode.
Also from what I understood, the r8500 is not supported by openwrt…?
Btw, I don’t need the wifi of the Nighthawk as I’m using a Mesh based solution for this.