Setting up a couple raid arrays for the 1st time in ~10 years

I have not messed with raid since i was messing with some old 20GB IDE drives i found that died in like a week, maybe have been raid 0 or i just use one for OS and one for storage, I do not recall, i know hardware raid is not really a thing now days and i would like know what partition typing i should use and if i can or should clone my install from my 500GB HDD or just install fresh on the ssd array and then copy my config over

I assume i can boot a software raid? what partation formats should i be using? how do i configure the raid array, i do not want to use a outdated guide

I would like to use the SSDs for the OS drive (Ubuntu server + pfsense VM) in raid 1 or 10 attached to the motherboards onboard sata controller

• if raid 1 start with 2 and add more in later to stagger there wear levels to avoid the likelihood of simultaneous failure

I would be putting the HDDs on the JMB585 controller in raid 10 for use with owncloud storage (effective 3x redundancy)

Hardware List:

I’ve been running RAID 10 on an LSI card for nearly a decade now. The breakout cables let me run 4 Western Digital SSDs on one port and another (don’t laugh) four Velciraptors on the other. Never had an issue. Very dependable. My wife games on a little JMB array in RAID 0 and has done so for years. Despite what people might say about RAID once you have it configured correctly it usually works well and remains stable. Don’t need to tell you that RAID is not backup but sometimes it can serve as a good way to backup your backup depending on what you do with it. I’m very pleased with RAID 10 myself, but I can’t say I’ve ever run Ubuntu in RAID 10. Ironically, I’m running Ubuntu on my gaming rig :laughing:

i run kubuntu on my desktop and xubuntu on some others, but this is ubuntu server, wondering if anyone has a modern guide, i know there has been a lot of new stuff with zfs, not even sure what partition type to use

i also keep a hdd with a copy of everything on it that i do wipe and update every now and then, been helpful a few times when i deleted something i should not have, luckily i have not lost a drive yet

but for this server that is not good enough, if i have a raid array and a drive dies the system will not go down over a single drive, the ssd raid 10 or 1 is about uptime, the speed benefits are just nice to have things and going raid 10 is just for capacity, but i think i could get away with about 100GB anyway, i could even allocate space on the HDD array for some stuff if i need to, i keep flip flopping on raid 10/1 for my ssd array plan

but what i need is a modern raid setup guide, i just want to avoid using a outdated guide that does not take advantages of more modern software, ubuntu server use a LVM partition by default, but if someone can point me to a guide

only reason i mentioned the controller i am planning to use is in case it raises a red flag to anyone, i have messed with a couple card in the past and they were nothing but trouble, they were some cheap 4 port cards with a marvel controller, issues were I/O errors and disappearing from the system after using sleep mode

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.