Setting RAM speed in Bios

I bought some Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1600mhz RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231489) for my Gateway FX6800 (http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX/FX6800/FX6800nv.shtml) desktop.

Windows recongizes the 16GB but Speccy shows the RAM running at 533mhz with timings 7-7-7-19. My bios which is made by AMI does not give options to set the speeds or timings of RAM or the ability to enable Intel XMP.

I have researched a way to set the RAM speed and came across bios-mods.com which has an "unlock" for the motherboard and BIOS I have.

My question is am I on the right track or have I missed something with the BIOS settings? I'm worried about updating the BIOS because I'm sure it will go south and create more problems.

Some specs:
Motherboard: Gateway TBGM01
BIOS: AMI 842P091G
CPU: Intel Core i7 920

Any help is greatly appericated.

its actualy running 2x533mhz so its runnig at 1066mhz which it seems is all your mobo supports.

You may be able to flash the bios with some random moded bios and over clock the ram to 1333mhz.

But I wouldent attempt it you have an uncommon gateway mobo that will have a custom version of the AMI bios so I am going to say around 80% chance of ending up with a large brick.

Ok that makes sense. Thank you very much.

I tried changing the ram frequency from 1300mhz to 1600mhz and I got a hardware failure then no beeps and no post, now I'm getting the mobo replaced. (I didn't go down without a fight, many hours gone into fixing it)

Was my motherboard 'bricked'?

I was talking more about flashing an unknown bios that would brick the mobo.

In your case I dont know its generaly reasonably safe to do an overclock like that useually if your system cant handle it, it will freeze or restart or bug out in diffrent ways and then you go back into the bios and set it back to the default. To not be able to get to the bios especial with no beeps is strange.

When I first got the motherboard I had the same problem with it not beeping or posting, I'm not entirely sure how it started working but it did then with the ram change it's stopped again so I'm just assuming it's a dodgy motherboard.

Sounds reasonable i guess the extra stress of the overcock was too much for the dodgy component to handle.