Server to Gaming Workstation Retrofit - 16 cores / 64gb ram | Tek Syndicate

I'm running two 2670v2 with the Hyper 212 EVO's and running a whole night on a burn test, the CPU's are pretty steadily on 60 degrees C. - pretty friggin amazing. The 4790K (@4400 Mhz) I ran before, even using a NH-D14 I had just under 80 C. on full load and an hour or three and the case was seriously hot. This case never gets even close to that hot, not even GPU rendering on the GTX 1070 over night... And that of course makes this box really, really quiet too, very nice. :)

Only thing left to do is solving my boot disk issues - seems I gotta buy an Intel 750, not what I wanted. :P

I have the HyperX Predator running as scratch but it isn't NVME so I don't know if I can help you...
My main OS is running off of an Intel 730. Latency is pretty good for SATAIII but NVME would be a boost for sure.

@wendell

Got an Intel 750 400Gb today, but even though the BIOS sees it, I have a meny popup in the advanced section, there's no way to boot from it, tried everything - I think, at least - but I never get it to popup as something to boot from. Latest BIOS, latest firmware on the disk.

The question is if I can use an USB, as you wrote before, as some intermediary - though seeing not even Super GRUB2 doesn't seem to find any of my tested NVMe drives, not sure how to proceed on that front...

This is a Z9PE-D8 or D16?? something isn't right somewhere. The ONLY disk I had in my system booted fine.. I wonder if I got my hands on a beta bios or something. Which slot? can you take some pics of bios and your h/w setup so I can try to replicate??

I run the Z9PE-D16, the 4 port version, you run a Z9PE-D16/L2, the 2 port version, but other than that they are identical - and so should the BIOS'es be... And there's no beta BIOS or alike - at least not according to Asus support. The latest bios is v5506.

And I run it off slot 1 and also tried with the 750 as the only disk, still doesn't pop up.

As for pictures, my HTC just ran out of juice, but I'll try to film a walkthrough tomorrow (11pm here now). I just can't see what I could have missed - the BIOS is pretty straight forward.

lmk once you take a look at this so I can take it down

Are you seeing this kind of thing? I just use the f8 to pick between devices, but I unplugged my other drives and its still fine.

Also got my bios version for you. Let me know please thanks.

1 Like

So friggin weird, I just don't get the option to boot from the Intel 750 like you do, though my settings match. But the BIOS seems to find the Windows Boot Manager - so I'll do a Fresh windows install on the disk, see if the BIOS finds it.

Edit:

You have the same BIOS core as I have, same EFI version, same BIOS version, 5506, but funny enough it doesn't even look the same in the BIOS.

And my thought about the Windows Boot Manager seems wrong to. First off, booting on an USB stick with a Windows 10 installer, it say's it can't install onto the Intel 750. Downloaded the Intel NVMe driver and tried installing Windows 10 again, with the current Intel NVMe driver - same message.

So I used Paragon to clone my current Windows 10 install onto the 750 drive - no difference, it will appear in the BIOS as a separate entry under advanced, but I never get the option to boot from it.

Win10 installed for me without issue stock. If you run command prompt -- shift f10 -- does diskpart even see it? Also did you see it in HDD BBS priorities on the boot screen where a SATA disk was selected?

Interesting. Very interesting. Idk why it would be different.

Yeah, the installer see it, I get it in the disk listing, but highlighting it, I get this...

But I've come to a point now when I'm giving up on the 750 anyway. I have two different solutions for booting on NVMe, one is a BIOS mod (here) - and I'll order a Z9PE-D16 BIOS chip off Ebay so I can screw up and still have a way back - as well as using a Hackintosh EFI workaround using a USB stick (here) - so I'll return the Intel 750 for a m.2 Samsung 950 Pro and use one of the aforementioned solutions running that off an Asus Hyper 4x PCIe adapter.

But what an effing mystery, same hardware, same BIOS, different results.

Yeah I have never seen this. I for sure have not modded the bios on this.

You could use diskpart to clean the disk and make sure it's not something goofy like that. If you have time for giggles install windows in another system in UEFI mode and then put the disk back in this system and see if it sees the boot manager. Just for giggles.

1 Like

I saw it couple times. Think i forgot the bootflag or it was just not correctly formatted, but i know it was something silly.

But Windows could be more technical in there setup logs. If there was only a secret button to push for tech people :(

Hehe, it's not like I haven't tried different formatting, I both formatted in Windows, using the installer - because it finds the disk fine, it can even handle it, remove, add volumes, etc, but won't install - and I also tried cloning my current disk to the Intel 750 using both Paragon and EaseUs on WinPE USB sticks. I also tried converting to GPT, but no difference.

And note the error message, it says the hardware - that's the MB, the BIOS - can't boot to this device, that's why I can't install too it... Now, how the installer knows the hardware can't do this, well, that's kinda interesting in itself, imo... ;)

But since I tried several times using a cloned disk and the BIOS still won't find it, something else is off - but I can't fathom what... I did a very last try now, I moved the disk to the first 2nd CPU PCIe slot, but exact same result as before - it turns up in BIOS but not as a bootable device. I used EaseUS to delete the volume and partition and formatted them again, rebooted into the Windows install stick, but the disk is still not a valid install disk - same message as my screenshot.

Now it's no longer on the board but neatly repacked in it's box, waiting to be returned to my hardware supplier. I'll order a BIOS chip in the coming days, then I'm doing a try with the BIOS mod and a m.2 Samsung 950 Pro on a PCIe adapter.

This is hardware MMA fighting, I'm completely beat... :D

I've done the bios mods before, they aren't too bad. I'm sure this bios is completely stock though. Sorry I couldn't do more! I dont have a spare samsung drive but I do have another m.2 nvme I can try with an adapter for giggles, but not till probably a week from now as I'm swamped at the moment and will have my hands full through next week.

1 Like

Naeh man, I appreciate the feedback. But this is seriously interesting. I've been messing about with hardware for 2 decades now, not often I run into walls like this.

And I would love if you did a test with that - if/when you get the time. I'll also connect back to this thread with the BIOS mod and/or the software EFI thingie, as time goes, I'm sure someone else will have use of these experiences. :)

well I was surprised as heck when nvme worked fine on a board this old AND showed all the extra options in the bios/uefi for messing with it. For yours I can see my uefi has some pretty big differences with yours, too.

I know the plextor m.2 works in here as well but the plextor has its own option rom in addition to the uefi stuff, so it can be misleading whether or not it works (e.g. it works fine in EFI macs, but some UEFI in older PC aren't able to enable EFI mode on the plextors).

What was the sata boot option in your uefi? cd rom? unplugged it just for giggles too?

1 Like

Naeh, unplugged everything but the DVD - but I can't be bothered with that, anyway, I can't have a box that, to be booted, can only run the NVMe with nothing else connected - I mean, I already took it ridiculously far, mostly because I thought the mystery interesting and challenging... ;)

But I gotta admit, it's pretty darned weird we have the same board, same core BIOS, same BIOS version and same 750 disk, and it doesn't look the same in the BIOS... It's one thing you can boot and I cannot, but that it looks different bothers me even more, that's just friggin weird.

Just a small note; more of an idea actually.
Would applying tape before drilling help with the metal chips?

So I'm necroing this but I figured out your nvme problem because I just had it myself with the version of the board you have.

There is a bug in the windows installer where it won't let you install to nvme. On this board.

Put the nvme in another system, install it sans product key to prevent activation, then put the nvme back in this board. It will totally work fine now. Must be formatted gpt obviously. And storage oproms in UEFI mode.

What a weird edge case.

4 Likes