Server to Gaming Workstation Retrofit - 16 cores / 64gb ram | Tek Syndicate

Will 3d rendering and game development in unity3d benefit from this kind of build ? I also do video editing , streaming and slight Photoshop. The build I had in mind before seeing this one was a 6800k , 32gb Ram and a 1080. Thanks for the patience guys , love the forum .

This is the coolest build video I have ever seen. Most of the ones (including the Tek Syndicate ones) are just people paying a lot of money for top-tier parts but I really appreciate how Wendell used both enterprise and consumer grade hardware in this and was budget conscious, plus it had the nice DIY element in that he was drilling his own motherboard holes. This is the content that I stay here for.

2 Likes

Photoshop won't benefit from more than 4 cores, maybe 6 with plugins. But I guess that is not a big issue. Video editing depends on the software I guess. Most likely it will be able to use up to 8 cores at best. 3D rendering should benefit the most. Although I have no idea what difference it would make in unity.

I'd love to see some rendering benchmarks with MODO on a rig like this.

https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/modo/trial/

So my memory just arrived and I am building now.

Here is the thread.

Great video! I am seriously considering building something like this, just have to try to get my hands on these parts in EU without paying 2x more...

This kind of content is the reason that Tek Syndicate is great! Keep it up

@Pazar exactly my thoughts.
Well, Natex.us has good price on the E5-2670's, C2 stepping as well. 65$ a pop and for me a pair of those shipped to Finland would be 163.4$ or ~147€. 73.5€ per CPU isn't all that bad, though that's excluding taxes.
And looking around on ebay, it's gonna be about that much, 75-80€ a pop. Excluding taxes.
I'll probably keep an eye out on these if there's a deal, I might snatch up a pair.

The motherboard is going to be the difficult one for me to decide on :D
Looking at them and doing some quick comparisons, the Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 is pretty damn impressive.
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EP2C602-4L/D16#Specifications
Quad freaking Intel Gbit along with the IPMI LAN port. PCI-e 3.0 and so on.
And I've only heard good things about Asrocks (server) CS.
Price new under 350€.

@Wendell I've been running a very similar system for about 2 years now as I managed to pick up the motherboard and initial CPU's quite cheap (new but unused) then used some parts from my then other X79 PC and sure it ended up quite expensive in the end it also had no limit to the capabilities. But the main reason to get it was the future availability of high end used X79 hardware to upgrade with. So managed to pick up 2 2670's for about 120$ on Ebay and set the power limit and power durability to max in the Bios and now it almost always keeps the CPU's at 3,2Ghz on all cores.

2x Xeon E5-2670 @ 16x3,2 Ghz - Z9PE-D8 WS - Corsair 32GB RAM - R9 Fury -
Dell U3415W 34"+ 2x 24" "HP ZR24w" IPS in portrait - HyperX Predator PCIe/M.2 - 3x Samsung 840 500GB -
Asus Xonar DX - 2x NH-U12S - 2x EVGA Supernova G2 850W - Obsidian 900D

Running Ubuntu on the HyperX Predator M.2 to PCIE SSD and then both a Win 10 VM and a proper dual boot Win 10 install on a Samsung 850 SSD. Then Steam, Origin and GoG get two Samsung 850 500Gb for games and there's a mixed assortment of 8 mechanical drives for storage.

I'll give it a try as I'm on almost that exact hardware...

@wendell I just built a socket 1366 Xeon desktop for pretty cheap. Here is the specs.

Supermicro Motherboard X8DTi with dual CPU sockets: $81
Dual Xeon X5670 2.93GHz LGA1366 Socket B Hex Core Server SLBV7: $133.50
48GB (12x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10600R 1333 MHz 240-Pin ECC REG RDIMM: $65.98
Phanteks Eclipse Series PH-EC416P: $69.99
Hyper 212 EVO: $29.99
EVGA 850 GOLD PSU: $70 (picked it up from a friend)

I took the other 212 EVO and the GTX 770 from my old build and the sound card and the fans I had laying around.

Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/9BIl2CQ
http://imgur.com/qWovR33

Also i am having trouble with 2 of my RAM slots if anyone has any ideas hit me up :)

2 Likes

Ram issues are almost always cpu socket issues or bad contacts on the cpu socket

Dirty secret is those cpu socket are only rated for ~10 insertions

Here you go, not really sure what the differences mean.

1 Like

@wendell The board was brand new so i doubt that is the problem. I looked at the socket and didn't see any bent pins but i could look again. Thanks! :)

Mark up those 2 ramsticks and shuffle them around, could be bad ram when dealing with that many sticks?

@TheBibliofilus yeah i swapped all the ram around and i even swapped the CPU's to see if that was the problem but it sticks to the same 2 slots

Thanks a lot. I was just interested in seeing what libavcodec does if it has so many threads available.
It's the best software decoder for HEVC right now and the benchmark just simply tests how many frames per second your CPU('s) can decode HEVC video.
Looking at those numbers the 2x E5-2670 setup has so much horsepower that it completes some of those tests so fast that it "doesn't really have time to think about it".
On average your 2x E5-2670 had 14% higher decode speed, in some situations having negative scaling, but ignoring the lower bitrates and only looking at the UHD BD numbers, where the CPU's are actually being hammered, the 2x E5-2670 decoded 42-51% faster.

For the shits and giggles, here's [email protected] numbers (by Enrique Carioca from MuroBBS) along with your 2x E5-2670 and my 3770K numbers in UHD BD decode.

Hopefully someday I'll have a 2x E5-2670 powerhouse. Not for decoding (lol) but encoding and render jobs + VM's etcetera.

hope nobody will make same mistake and buy HP proliant G6 motherboards.. single cpu one, i bought, works, but keeps complaining about fans not plugged in and wont let you through unless you do stuff with fan connectors and original fans are crap and overpriced, if you can even find them, since its old hardware :D

FeelsBadMan

The main problem I'm having is find a motherboard that will support them really.

@wendell Is the shootout video going to relate to rendering/adobe at all? Oddly I just got a dell t610 for free, and was thinking about turning it into a storage server and rendering machine but your post leads me to believe it may not surpass my 4790k by as much as I once thought. Coupled with the fact that I cannot install a gpu, I'm now thinking I might be better off selling it and using the profits elsewhere. I work in adobe cc full time, mostly PPro and AE, on a 4790k build w/maxed out ram, multiple raids and a 980ti. I recently added a XPS 15 (i7 fully specd) to my toolkit- once the jury is in on the razer core I may use the $ from selling the t610 towards the core to pair with the xps and a 980. Thanks for the insight and the great vids!

Cheers
Kris

I personally would get rid of that system. That's old Xeon 5500/5600 right? Dual quad or dual hex core?
If you're working with FHD in Premiere Pro, exporting doesn't scale much past 4 cores.
4K fares better scaling nicely up to about 8 cores.
Render previews? Nope, doesn't scale well unless you're using RED 4K or 6K footage.
After Effects 2014 does scale well but AE 2015 performs miserably and doesn't scale pretty much at all beyond 4 cores.

But considering just the simple Geekbench multicore scores, a dual X5670 system (6C12T 2.9-3.33Ghz) does about 24-25k, a stock i7-4790K would do about 15k I think.
If yours has lesser CPU's in there (read 2x quad cores), don't even bother.
(Edit: I'd reiterate on this: those scores are if you're fully utilizing the whole performance of the CPU's. 12C24T fully utilized in for example Premiere Pro exporting FHD? Like above, heck no, an i7-4790K would run circles around it.)

Here's some articles for you
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-Multi-Core-Performance-Update1-806/
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2014-Multi-Core-Performance-716/
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2015-Multi-Core-Performance-714/

But since you have the system, fire it up and run some benchmarks. Though I'm afraid with Adobe suite you're much better off with less-new-cores-more-clockspeed than many-old-cores-lower-clockspeed.

2 Likes