SERVER MEGATHREAD - Post Your Servers

Awesome setup!
I want to build a FreeNas system relativly simular to your Asuna.
But I am not sure about the power consumption.
It would be amazing if you could tell me how many watt it draws.

Thanks.

Its a bit hard to say how much it draws.... as I don't have a Kill-A-Watt.
As a stab in the dark, based off of the components I would have to say its under 50 Watts when idle.

If I get my hands on a way to measure the wattage draw, I will post back.

Hello TekSyndicate, it's been a while. New forum system is very interesting, not what I'm used to.
Here is my current server:

NORCO RPC-430 Super Short Depth Case
Intel Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport Low Profile 8GB DDR3 1600
Samsung 850 PRO 250GB Boot Drive
3x Western Digital Red 3tb hard drives, Software RAID 5/ReFS
3x Noctua NF-R8 Fans
Noctua NH-L9i (Reused from another project--planning on different cooler at some point to help pull air properly)
SeaSonic SS-400FL2 400 Watt Platinum
Windows Server 2012 R2

And here are some shots of the internals. Sorry if cable management isn't perfect xD

This server runs Plex, Bit Torrent Sync, a Windows 7 VM that is my torrent box, and I was using it to mess with as a DHCP/DNS server but it doesn't do that any longer.

As for my network rack, I have a telephony Motorolla/Arris modem in the other room which is connected to my work VPN router. That router feeds into my rack which is:

-Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
-Cisco SG300 10-Port Switch
-Netgear R7000 Router configured as AP, using DD-WRT, with Monoprice -9dBi antennas, and a Monoprice laptop cooler
-My Server

The Rack is a LackRack, made from 3 Ikea Lack tables and a bunch of corner braces., I think it cost me a total of about 30 bucks.

Then upstairs on the other side of the house I am currently using a Netgear EX700 Range Extender repeater to get better coverage on the second floor (rest of stuff is in basement) and in the back yard. My next goal is to re-deploy this Netgear stuff at some point in a friend's house for cheap and to replace it with the new Ubiquiti AC stuff that was just released.

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

Server Setup:

From bottom to top,

UPS is an 800 Watt backup
Little black box with blue light is my NAS, configured with 2x 2TB in RAID1

Bottom 1U Server:

• Dell SC1425
  • Runs Owncloud/File Server
  • 2x 2 Core Xeons, 8GB of RAM
  • 2x 500 GB RAID1 (I know, needs better drives)

2u Server:

• Rackables 2u (No Model)
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 2x 4 Core Xeon L5420
  • Runs VirtualBox on Debian 7 host OS
  • Runs my primary VMs, website, email, etc
  • 2x 250 GB HDD RAID1 (Not much, but uses NAS for most storage anyway)

Old looking dell desktop above the 2u:

• Dell Dimensions
  • Pentium 4
  • 1.5 GB of RAM
  • Runs pFsense

Desktop above that, without cover:

• Modified/customized old Compaq PC
  • Dual core AMD
  • 4 GB of RAM
  • Runs observium for monitoring friend's network (used for off-site monitoring for him)

Compaq PC on top:

• VM Testing box
  • Runs OpenVZ containers
  • Dual core Pentium
  • 2 GB of RAM

The room the servers are in is dedicated to servers (also my office).
All servers have dedicated 20 AMP Circut (controlled by panel in photos below)

Also, all my boxes run some kind of linux (mostly debian), I have no windows anywhere near my servers on this network.

Can't get pictures yet as I am at work, but i've built my own shitty rack out of wood. This rack was supposed to be temporary but i've stuck with it as I don't need a bigger rack yet.
1x 3Com 1910-16Gswitch
1x Dell R710 with 36GB Memory and 2x X5650s (6 Cores 12 thread each :D ). Running quite a few VMs, one for PFSense, DHCP, etc.

Soon I am going to be adding a x WatchGuard Firebox x550e to my network, and I am going to flash PFSense to it so I can use it as a dedicated firewall.

OH YEAH, I can't forget my trusty little Raspberry Pi, this hasn't been fully deployed yet but it's going to handle DHCP for one my vlans on a 10.0.0.x subnet

Double edit? I must be tired....
I have plans for a 13TB raid array(10TB Usable) but that'll come after Christmas, very most likely unless something I have my eye on is still hanging around on eBay after payday ;)

That was my server @ home, these are the specs of my server @ work.
Dell R610, 64GB memory, 2x 146GB 15K sas drives ( Waiting for a client to ditch an old NAS or SAN ;) ) and it has 2x X5660s. I'm running CentOS with KVM and Libvert for virtualization on it as well.

Yes... Those are 16GB Modules :P
Obviously I can't post pictures of the rack or anything for security reasons, so i'm sorry :(

Here's mine:

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/ultra-silent-server-in-new-lian-li-q26-case-build-log-w-photos/77566?u=johnmatt

and Part 2 here:

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/ultra-silent-pfsense-build-in-in-win-bl647-sff-matx-slim-case-build-log-w-photos/88874?u=johnmatt

Long time, no reply. Just went into my UPS and calculated it.

At idle its about 90 Watts, full tilt (with CPU's and RAM at 100% usage) its 160 Watts.

Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHZ HT
1.75 GB of DDR ram
80GB, 160GB, 500GB drive in raid 0
EDIT: expaned Raid 0 by adding a 40gb pata drive.

thx for measuring :D
I think I'm going with a slightly newer platform, because the idle powerconsumption is a bit to high for me, because the server will probably run at idle the most of the time.

Awesome setup!

Wow, I had happened to go around the forum and found you again, not only that your setup looks awesome. A lot of thought was put into it. :)

1 Like

Thanks.

I recently upgraded some if the network with fiber, you can have a look here if you're interested https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/network-reconfiguration-now-with-fiber/89459?u=dexter_kane

Anyone have any advice for a sub $200 1-2u server for vm's

I Have an AMD A8 with 16GB Running server 2008 R2 + 13 drives 2 of witch are SSDs one for the OS + 1 for Plex
The server only does Plex now i used to do other things. all the Drives run interdependently. No JBOD or Raid. i had been added tow over time.
This is all In a Fractal Array R2
since the RAID controller is a little to long the Drive Cage Screws don't line up anymore. velcro stops the cage from sliding what the top is screwed

SSD mounted on a Hard drive which is use the second expansion slot cover at another drive mount.

OS SSD + 2.5" Drive Screwed into the side using the vent holes, + 2 Drives velcroed to the floor of the case

3 Likes

Nzxt case
intel e8500 dual core
8gb memory
12tb LVM
250 ssd for caching
dual nic

Hopefully not too bad of a necro. Here is my main server at work. The bump in CPU was a cinebench benchmark.

I love benchmarks lol.

Server:
Female
almost 20 years old.
Cat-Ears to increase listening power

1 Like

You sir, get 10 internet points! GG

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/my-server/100494?u=dje4321