Server project....Need some help

Hello!

I have a strugle to find a new project I do with my server. I mainly have been doing some windows server 2012r2 stuff with it, and the usual stuff with AD, GPO's, DNS, DHCP, users with shares and just the normal run at the mill for windows server production inviorment. But I kinda feel I need something else to do with it. A litle more info about the server.

--CPU: 2x Intel E5620 2.4Ghz (2.66 GHz Turbo)
--72GB of ECC ram
--Supermicro X8DTU-LN4F+ (mother board)
--2 x Intel® 82576 Dual-Port Gigabit
Ethernet Controllers (4 ports)
--Intel® 5520 (Tylersburg) Chipset

As far as storage goes I use a bunch of old 2,5 laptop HD since i have not yet invested in a SAS controller as of now.

This is a server that have been in production earlier and i bought it used.

The server is curently running ESXI 6.0.0 with only a couple of vm's like a windows server 2012r2 and a ubuntu and a Pfsense box. So help with Ideas to a project that i could do, would be most helpfull :P

Get freeipa on there, have it sync user credentials from ad, get a few Linux boxes running on that using ansible r similar to manage them. Get them crunching numbers or something.
(Then decide what to do with the left over 60gb or ram)

1 Like

Thank you for your imput!

Do you mind explaining me what the different things are ? never heard about it before. I am fearly pleb when it comes to linux stuff

Play with unraid lol.

Things Mentioned

• FreeIPA: AKA Active Directory for Linux
  • ansible: Imagine being able to run a command on n number of systems at the same time. for example running grep on a log file for 100 servers.
2 Likes

I would think docker containers would be cool to play with

Or possibly a beowolf cluster

1 Like

Thanks for the reply it is much apriciated :) I am new to the forum so it is nice to get so much feedback on my first post ! I will check it out, but i need to do some research on this first. So I guess I have my work cut out for me.

2 Likes

Thanks @LemoneyLimesLimes.

@Impectorum ask away whenever you need. I'll be honest I suggested those things because I also need to learn more about them as well and want to set up something similar.

1 Like