Server PCs

Does anyone know a server pc that can support more than 8 cpus because supermicro has one that can support 8 cpus supermicrocom/en/products/system/7U/7089/SYS-7089P-TR4T.cfm I thought this was a really intresting computer

Monstrosities like that aren’t really relevant these days with so many cores in a single socket. Lots of disadvantages to having sockets.

Machine learning nodes - either for model distillation or for training with a bunch of accelerator cards. Basically, give me all the pcie lanes and all the ram bandwidth you can. It’s still cheaper to go with a few racks of big chassis like this and a small network fabric, than to use large network fabric and regular 2 socket systems.

It still doesn’t work unless you know you’re going to need a big fabric anyway and/or don’t have control over the cooling setup in your dc and can’t support the densities. These setups routinely push upwards of 100+kw / rack mostly driven by accelerators and often have water cooling in the dc.

I’d perhaps look into open compute servers. I may have overheard one of the openbmc guys bragging how they were able to bring the boot time down to under a minute on some such box.

That super micro box where you can stick the CPUs in, has no space for accelerator cards - it’s kind of useless IMHO. If the intent is to be used as part of a cpu render farm by Disney - they’re late to the party as most of that workload is outsourced to public clouds where they don’t have to care about low utilization and can pay as they go.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.