Server PCI Power Connector

I am trying to add a video card to my server, but my server doesn’t have a PCI 6/8 pin power connector. I have one free molex connector available, I am afraid that it may be unsafe to try and use a molex to PCI converter to power the video card. I am running a dual Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2 @ 3.30 GHz, 24 hard drives, dual 1k power supplies. Any thoughts on if it’s safe to use a molex to PCI converter or know a better way of making a video card work in that server?

What gpu as draw from molex is limited so depends on how much the gpu needs from 6 pin

Check eBay, you’ll likely find a GPU power cable for your brand and model of server, there’s probably some weird connector on the system board or pmc board for it to plug into.

Thanks for the fast replay Mutation, I am not sure what GPU I was going to get, maybe a AMD Radeon RX 560 or FirePro S7000/9000.

Gordon, here is a link to my motherboard, https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DR3-F.cfm I am not sure what I am looking for, if you could tell me what type of cable I need that would be awesome.

As the motherboard does not have a power out for a GPU, I would recommend a card that does not need a power connector, like a Gtx 1050 or a gt 720 or something, which can be powered directly through the bus.

Otherwise you’d need a PSU with more connectors.

Can you wire something up with a spare molex? Probably, will it result in catastrophic failure? Assuming it works, maybe

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

looks to be safely maybe 60W so assuming the mobo puts out another 75w lets say if you use an adapter I would not get a gpu with more draw then 120ish watts

From the Supermicro website:

Cable	CBL-0153L	-	6pin GPU Power Adapter Cable from PDB 2x big 4pin, 16cm

This assumes you’re using a supported chassis for that motherboard.

Mutation, thanks for the link, I also have a free 4 pin ATX cable. Looking at the power maximums on the website, it looks like I can get 192 watts out of that. Would that be safer to use or would I run into issues with the power draw from my other CPUs?

You could easily make your own adapter if there isnt one and steal power from both connectors to make one that meets your draw requirements. Just check the connector pin outs and thats all that really matters. (there is some things with multi rail power supplies but i dont think that would matter)

Use the 4 pins and the molex to make one that can deliver more power
(2 12v and 2 ground from 4 pin and 1 12v and 2 ground from molex) (leaves you short 1 12v, but if you have 2 spare molex could make a full 8 pin)

As long as you have the headroom on the PSU should be no issue you can check on the PSU what the 12v rail can support max draw

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.