Server/NAS Setup

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pKF4pG

That’s the base… I’ve got an old Radeon HD6570 laying around somewhere for initial setup.

Use-case… Plex/OS virtualization sandbox/website/email

I have about 8TB of movies/music/pics etc to throw on there… so I’ll need some pretty huge drives…

Sooo… I’m looking at these…

http://www.esaitech.com/hitachi-gst-huh728080aln601-0f23666-ultrastar-he8-8tb-7200rpm-sata-6.0gbps-128mb-cache-3.5-inch-internal-hard-drive.html?pk_campaign=ga-pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwr-PYBRB8EiwALtjbz5KSJyZJfT5uHS2s4e-VReNgv7wbY8_pAevFwFGxkdzqsTxwnHjA9BoCq-gQAvD_BwE

those are the cheapest high capacity He 4kn drives I can find… if anybody knows a better place to get them, LMK, cause I need 4…

Looking for recommendations and whatnot… LMK

What do you plan on using as your OS? Do you plan on your NAS being virtualized? How do you plan on implementing the redundancy of your array? If possible I would recommend using ZFS but you don’t have quite a lot of ram.
Is there any reason you’re going with the HE disks? You can get non HE disks for almost half the cost.

If you know where to get 8TB+ drives for $110 LMK… 512e drives are also a tad cheaper, but I don’t need the emulation step in between and I’m concerned 512e will eventually phase out by the time i need to replace them. I went with the He because they aren’t much more than the regular ones, are quieter, cheaper to run, and I don’t have to keep the server immaculate with them as they are sealed. I could certainly be talked out of them if you know of 8+TB 4kn non-helium drives that are $110 tho!

I was planning on CentOS/BTRFS in RAID10 as I’ve got some experience with it and it isn’t as ram intensive as ZFS, but that’s not set in stone. If I run CentOS the NAS won’t be virtualized, you can actually run Rockstor right over it as it functions on the same kernel if you’re lazy and want a net-based interface (it’s kind of sloppy but it works haha)…

I’ll expand the RAM later to 32, it’s just kind of ridiculous expensive right now… that will certainly be the first upgrade

but yea, haven’t bought anything yet… just have my old Fractal case sitting in the closet… so suggestions are welcome…

The link you supplied, shows those drives as $220…
I dont think you’ll find any 8TB drive for $110… unless counterfeit maybe…

The guy that responded said

The non HE drives (ones I can find) that are 8TB and up are all over $200 as well…

Guess Im doing it wrong.

Also… looking through hgst website… I cant find any He 4kn drives with that part number either…

It’s the 601’s are the Bulk Data Encryption SKU

1 Like

Oh…
CDW says they were recently discontinued.

Well… there’s your functional reason for them to be $300 off MSRP haha

There was a Best buy sale on 8tb disks, But amazon has them for about 160, Except you have to shuck some external enclosures. I also stumbled upon refurbed 8tb he disks for 180

yea… those are refurb 512e

not a terrible price tho… might be worth $35/disk for 4kn/new?

decisions… hrm