SERVER MEGATHREAD - Post Your Servers

That's really quite odd. Normally I'd hook up the front break out cable (like on Dell and HP) however IBM do not have this :/
Hmmmm odd.

The chassis is still about 2 grand.....

The IBM H Bladecenter is still a current that's why. It supports the HS23 and HX5 (LGA 2011 (E5 Xeon) and LGA 1567 (E7 Xeon)) Which are still current systems.

If you're serious about blade systems, you could take a look at the Dell M1000e (bit cheaper) or if you don't mind running older LGA771 systems the chassis for Poweredge 1855/1955. (but in my experience, it isn't the best).

Cubietruck - raw ARM power for the win!

Some specs:

• Dual-Core ARM Cortex A7 @ 1GHz (SoC: Allwinner A20)
  • 2GB RAM
  • 8GB NAND Flash storage, 1x microSD-card slot, 1x SATA port
  • 1x Gbit Ethernet port
  • 2x USB Host
  • Onboard Bluetooth and WiFi (Broadcom BCM4329/BCM40181)
  • Dimensions: 11cm x 8cm (excluding case)
  • HDD (below): 500GB WD Blue (5200rpm)

More pictures here:
https://cubieserver.de/blog/2015/02/28/firstpost/#Photos

2 Likes

I have a bananapi tried to turn it into an owncloud machine but for some reason owncloud absolutely hates sd cards.

Probably the lack of iops

no more in a way that it somehow changes the owncloud install permissions thus making it inaccessible. I just hated it.

Interesting, were you using an automated installer or building it manually?

manually since there isn't an automated installer on any form of linux anymore afaik. It's all done through the opensuse links they give. Still not using it anymore since I got fed up with it. Tried different types of OSes from Open Mediavault, Raspbian, Bananian and Lubuntu.

Now I'm just figuring out what to do with it because frankly it disappointed me.

I am unaware of any automated installers, I only asked as most of them seem to cock up in the permissions department.

If you are still wanting an ownCloud setup on the device, I would recommend you do it through the Bananian OS instead.

Being a mirco-electronic engineering student at a technical institute, I've picked up a few things. Mostly limited to what I can carry and fit in my car. Still, I've got my hands on 2 rack mounts and a switch.
I've got a 2000ish dell power edge of some sort running dual single core itaniums with 4gb of ddr ECC.
An 2008ish Hp proliant dl160 Gen5 running dual quad core xeons @ 2.6ghz and 16gb of ddr2 ECC. It also has an Hp raid card. E200 I think. 8 channel SAS raid with battery backup.
Then I have the behemoth Cisco Catalyst 6509. It is heavy and was a bitch to move off campus. The chassis is 120lb with the internals completely gutted so 300lb or so with everything inside. Though I suppose that is average networking stuff for ya. I have two supervisors blades that are in single link fiber. I need two more ports to run in dual link and then with that I should be able to migrate it over to Cisco IOS from CatOS. There are five 48 10/100 nic blades below that and then a 16 10/100/1000 nic blade. The power supplies need to be upgraded if I were to use all the nics but, otherwise it is running a 3kW and a 1.4kW supplies.
As far as what I plan on doing with these things well, the Hp is being used as a debian based storage server hosting a match of CS:GO here and there with the switch for LAN parties. Though normally the switch isn't on since it does raise the power bill. I think I will migrate the hp to be a VM machine. I refuse to switch to Win10 and this might be the solution. Ill have to play with it.
The switch other then hosting LAN parties uses to much electricity to be honestly helpful. So I'll move it to Cisco IOS and simply see what I can learn in the networking area playing around with it. Something different to work on. As I collect more servers I'm sure I'll find an actual use.
The dual Itaniums give me a DC voltage error. I assume there is a dead capacitor somewhere and I'll have to comb through the board until I find it. The Power supplies are fine so it is definatly on the motherboard somewhere. I have an idea. Just have to break out the testers and find out.

Not the best pictures but, then again I don't have a good camera.

Very nice, how much do they go for?

Sweet stuff dude.

I remember helping move one of those damn Catalyst switches at my Uni. Getting it out of the rack and onto the trolley was a lot of effort. It was quite funny how the lift sagged when we rolled the trolley in!

Sadly I didn't have a trolley that can manage 4 flights of stairs. The blades aren't to bad but the chassis is nearly as large as I am. Getting down those stairs wasn't fun. 5 years in a drum and bugle corps seemed to strengthen me enough for it though. Drums nearly match that weight. Well, bass and quints anyways. Cymbals and snare not so much. lol.

Roughly a 100 bucks, depending on the reseller and the included accessories (+/- 10).

CubieBoard4 is also out, but it is also more expensive (I've seen from 130$ to 180$).

http://cubieboard.org/

Finally get to add to this thread!

Main servers:

Switch that powers them.

And this little box that sits under my desk for no real reason:

So on to what they do;

The one on the right of the first picture acts as my game server host. - Dual Xeons, 16GB DDR2
The one on the left serves as a media+file server and as my ADDS DC.

The one that sits under my desk is mostly a firewall with it also admining the managed antivirus I use.

Edit: I'll add more details + a network grid in the morning.

1 Like

I think this thread will stay on my tabs for a while

I need to update my home setup, added another machine. Except that will have to wait as I am moving this week. God I hate moving equipment.

I have rack full of gear in the basement. Two routers, three switches, a few SuperMicro boxes and a small fleet of HP's. Use them for all kinds of stuff, lately been migrating from v Sphere to Open-stack. Been really happy with the switch overall. (Less money on licensing = more $$ for hardware :P)

This is my current setup:

Hardware
CASE: Silverstone Milo ML04B
PSU: 300W SFX
MB: GA-J1900n-d3v
CPU: Celeron J1900
HS: Passive, onboard
RAM: 4GB DDR3L
RAID CARD: Semlos Sil3114
SSD: Kingston v300 120gb
HDD: 4x4TB RED
16TB Total

Software
Windows server 2008R2
Plex Server, OwnCloud, CouchPotato, TeamSpeak Server, Sonarr, Steam IHS, IIS.

Photo
This is a (relatively) old photo, the drives are now mounted using SEDNA rubber stands

1 Like