Server 2016

Anyone got to play with the pre release version of windows server 2016 yet?

"Microsoft presents: NSA for your business" - someone at Microsoft during coffee

4 Likes

There's nothing (except maybe exchange, but then again, should that really be in the "benefits" side of the table?) that Windows Server provides that Linux can't do better, faster and with less resources. I'd recommend checking out Ubuntu or Debian, instead of playing with pre-releases of Windows Server. It just doesn't seem like the most cost effective option.

I get it for free as well as the release version through school and I get to keep them as long as I don't profit off of it.

Just want to know anyone has been using it at all and if so what they have done.

Fair enough. Re-reading my message, it did come off kinda dick-ish. I typically don't touch Windows Server much, and I hadn't even heard that it's been released. Hopefully there's some cool stuff.

It's cool, just want to know if anyone has had any luck with it or done any projects using it.

Seeing as linux is a better candidate for servers, well really everything in general, I have never seen a use in windows as a server or desktop for that matter. Does M$ server actually give any benefits or is it just a 1000 dollar gimmick in a box?

For many large corps windows server is still a good solution. Easy to deploy and administer and the licence costs are fine as its all wrapped up into an Enterprise Agreement. This also provides support so the costs are similar to using RedHat Enterprise Linux etc. These companies also have plenty of trained admins who can get the most out of it.

If a new company wanted servers would I recommend it, maybe, but starting out with Linux would IMO be better in the long run.

Windows server 2016 has some cool new features. Clusters without shared storage, near instant VHDX initialisation when using ReFS for example.

I guess the majority of people aren't understanding what I'm asking....

1 Like

I've been tempted to throw 2016 nano server on a box and play with containers, since they're working on that with 2016. With Jon Snover at the helm, who was a Unix guy before coming to Microsoft and the guy who brought Powershell to the world, I believe that they're likely on a good track for uses and functionality of servers, bringing resource usage down even more. With 2008 they introduced the ability to install Server without a gui, with 2012 non-gui was the default, and with 2016 and bring in nano server, it looks like they're doing even more to go away from it. Now, that's not to say that people still won't use the gui, but with it not being the default, that's a good thing. and with DSC, there's a lot that can be done without the gui on an automated basis. If you have access, which I do as well, throw it on a box, or a VM, and play with containers, that's where the cool innovation is from Microsoft's perspective in my opinion. I know that's been around for a while now outside of MS, but it's good to see it making it's way, in earnest, into MS Server.

I'd be really concerned using REFS, to be honest. From what I understand, it's just a wrapper on top of NTFS, which makes me a little scared about data integrity.

@geekindad I wouldn't say powershell is something that should go on a resume... Sounds like he's doing some good though. How's the footprint on nano server looking? is it still a 10+ GB installation?

Refs is still feature limited in some ways but I've not had any data integrity problems. Using it with storage spaces works really welland gives so much more flexibility than RAID.

As for PowerShell, its one of the most in demand skills for a windows admin or SQL Server DBA. You definitely want it on your CV.

Nano sever will be a tiny install. It is on my list to play with after doing a cluster install with no shared storage.

PCIe device pass-through for Hyper-V? Improved clustering and storage spaces? Containers? I work in a Windows world so these will be welcome additions for me.

@Hadesfriend it's still pre-release, I doubt anyone has sunk any real time into projects based on something that is likely to change in the near future.

Firewall with gui that allows you to block all connections and allow only ones you specify

Also actively tells you when something is trying to initiate a connection and you can allow or block and see where its trying to go.

Nerdgasm review

I'm just ready for the awful start menu from server 2012 to be gone..

Glad to see I am not the only one using GlassWire. It is a neat little piece of software.