Sell or keep my RTX 2080Super?

I have currently a second PC that partially works. I have kept it around in case my main system would break since I need this stuff for work.

But I now also have somewhat okayish Windows laptop that has 2080Super and 32GB ram, which is somewhat okay although compiling UE shaders takes about 10X time comparing to my tower, likely due to less memory.

If my options would be

1. Sell 2080Super and keep the second machine parts for spares.
  2. Fix the second machine and sell the whole machine.
  3. Sell the laptop.

I don’t think I particularly need a portable Windows machine at the moment but little a bit wonder on this one.

1 Like

But the laptop has that 2080-S, no?

1 Like

Keep imo unless you need the money / have better use for it.

Yes it does its the 2080 Super MAX-Q , its ROG Zephyrus S17 GX701LXS and it has 300 herz screen which I really like, it’s really good screen.
Only issue I have are the unusually long shader compile times and during compile the processor doesnt even hit 40% load. My other machines hit 100% and compile WAY faster.
Same was when I was trying to compile Unreal engine code from source. Took 8X as long as in my desktop.

Only thing that comes to my mind is,

If second pc is not much faster than the laptop, then sell both and build new backup pc.
Perhaps get some light laptop like pinebookpro / Pinenote so you can use it to remote back to your workhorses or even stream content from-to.

I dont know what you should do, but good luck!

2 Likes

I……

Give me the laptop

2 Likes

Them laptop iterations, from the 20-series are all dialed back on power ceiling(s)
Max-Q sub series of course, being choke collared the most
[which I’d rather, compared to shaving down chip, but still use same nomenclature]

Have you looked at the BIOS, if you’re able to adjust its power ceiling?
Appears to be 3 hard wattage marks, for 2080S-MaxQ [80,85,90]

1 Like

Keep it. I don’t think things will ever be the way they were.

1 Like

Yes, definitely. Just saw used GTX1080 in Thriftstore in Japan that went for around 800 dollars. New ones are really unbelievable prices at the moment. I also need this stuff for work so I think having backup is great.

I would keep it unless you could get a great deal on something better.

I suggest skipping the next generation too if you don’t feel you need to upgrade, prices for the upcoming video cards are going to be crazy, as these GPU selling companies will try to push prices up to get people to settle on a new higher baseline price. I expect things should settle down after next gen.

There may be a period in here where miners are selling off their old cards, that would be a good time to get a newer card on the used market.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.