Seems like MS is removing the opt-out option to windows 7/8/8.1 users

They own the software....therefore they can assert anything they like and claim it's for the betterment of the user experience, the bottom line is that they own the operating system and you as a licensed user have little choice in the matter because you own nothing but the underlying hardware, you are licensed to use the product for it's intended purpose but have no control, they can and will end support for a OS when they feel the time is right regardless of published dates again to improve the user experience and security.

They could at any point even today announce that they are ending support for Win 8-8.1 tomorrow because of the cost associated with maintaining 4 OS's on the support/update side and offer a free upgrade to the current supported OS....oh wait!

Maybe this will help force software developers to develop for linux

I think Microsoft would actually do something like this, but I also think is just the privacy issues thing being blown out of proportion again. I turned my updates off some months ago (in July, apparently) and they're still off. My Windows 10 upgrade doesn't appear to be "ready" (though I'm not completely sure about that).

I may end up upgrading at some point, though. Currently testing it on an old Toshiba laptop that I fixed recently.

AS OF THIS MORNING ON AT LEAST THIS RIG IT IS STILL CHECKED

EDIT 1= WTF??????????????

EDIT 2 = here is what I get (sorry)

edit 3 = on another rig

edit 4 = I do not know anymore what to tell the friends and others that call me. Unfortunately, a few have upgraded with not so good results. ( i am being polite, and not referring to the language they used)

edit 5 = nag update is on first pictured rig. will check more about consequences before removing. (MysteryAngel, I need your light !please)

edit 6 = just corredt with right pic for 2nd rig (sorry)

Does this happen if you have the Windows 10 Nag update uninstalled and automatic updates locked to off?

I need to know, need to stop this from happening on my moms work PC.

The first 2 pictures are from this rig; and I checked DO NOT CHECK...........shown in 2nd pic
edit 1 = nag update not checked yet; I wanted to see what Mr EveryBody would see; before any modif. (as if your mother or mine reads forums..........no I do not think so. :-(

That happened to me, and is the reason I wasn't sure if my Windows 10 upgrade was "ready" or not.

Apparently this was an "accident"
http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft-not-forcing-windows-10-upgrades/

My ass.

Its weird, i dont have the windows10 upgrade update listed in my updates.
But i have posted a list in some thread a while back with KB updates, which linked to Microsoft telementry shit.
You probably have some of those updates installed on your system.

Check if some of these updates are installed on your system.

KB3021917
KB2990214
KB2952664
KB3035583
KB3068708
KB3022345
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB2952664

KB3035583 <-- in particular is the Windows10 upgrader.

3 Likes

Just got back, thanks. the ones that can be SAFELY removed are ? the KB3035583 (only) / and what are the consequences. Does it disable any future attempts for upgrade/clean install win10 ?

All of them can be safely removed.
These updates are all related to the telementry shit from MS.

KB2952664 for example is some kind of a upgrade advisior basicly.

And if you want to reset your update history search after you have done the uninstall of those updates.
You can restart your computer, boot into safe mode, and delete everything thats in the C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
Then reboot to normal mode.
This will clear the update history basicly.
But its not needed its just optional.

I signed up for "free" Windows 10 but since i removed all those telemetry updates it's not nagging me at all right now. Even the icon from bottom right corner has gone away.

However never in my life was i prompted with licence agreement just to install ordinary update for malicious software removal tool. MS trying to smuggle some shit into my pc?

1 Like

That particular update has basicly nothing to do with MS forcing you to Windows 10 yada

But it has to do with something, otherwise the licence terms window would not pop up.

Its basicly just a tool for removing mallicious software.
This is basicly standard since Windows XP.
The update is just an definision update to that program.

"Windows Defender"

I personaly never realy bottered with installing those updates, cause i dont use windows defender anyway.
But installing them, basicly should not do any harm.

1 Like

The way I personally feel is if I want to have and run Windows 8.1, then that is my choice, NOT Microsoft's. In time I will (most likely) use Windows 10, but NOT on my laptop. Also, I am getting ready to build a lowend system (based on the A4 4000) This too, will have 8.1 But having a company tell people what is best for them, stinks!

2 Likes

Windows 8.1 extended support ends on 10th of January 2023, 19 days before my 54th birthday. I am pretty sure that by THAT time, I'll be ready to try Microsoft's latest offering, which will most likely be Windows 11 (or Windows 365, remember that?)

Hey ! Here is something that is a first for me; and I had 2 witnersses bisides me.
so we are devouring a 4k video on youtube................and then..............OUT OF NOWERE !!!!!!!
WINDOWS 10 STARTS TO INSTALL..........ALL BY ITSELF................NO SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DURING THE VIDEO WAS PLAYING????????????????
HOW THE FUCK CAN THEY DO THIS.

ps none of the previously specified updates mentioned by MysteryAngel were removed. (NONE) so this rig is like Mr everybody.............

NOPE it will be OLD FOLKS INTERFACE; you will be directly socketed in like the Matrix..................hahahaha
I am 61,,,,,,,,,,,,,i will have it before you.

1 Like

i´m allmost tempting to say, "told you so" lol.
I still dont have any shit according to windows 10 upgrade showing in my list of updates.
But ofc i dont have any of those kb updates i listed above on my system