Seeking recommendation: 1440p / IPS / 27 G-SYNG

someone told me some things and tell me if you agree or no//

Getting the “perfect” 1440p gaming monitor. Well, i was on the same boat and ended up getting the PG279Q. I have read countless reviews comparing all those monitors you’ve mentioned. And the overall “best” of the bunch from what i’ve gathered is the Viewsonic. Best, meaning it has the least issues and has a little bit better color accuracy and gamma than the others. The Acer is recommended because of its price, it can go $100-200 cheaper than the competition with so little difference regarding picture quality and performance… They all use the same panel anyway from AUoptronics. I got the Asus instead of the Viewsonic cause they are around the same price here in my place and the viewsonic was always out of stock everywhere. Tried the Asus to see how bad the backlight bleed and IPS glow and just do a return if it really bothers me. And yes my unit has one noticeable bleed on the upper right corner and worst IPS glow. Both are noticeable in dark scenes,especially the glow which is so annoying at first, but completely disappears in normal scenes. Decided to just keep it after 2 weeks of using because of how lovely my games looks and forgot about the bleed and glow. I also love the thin bezel so theres that. But yea, just get the Viewsonic if you want the best screen and probably the Acer if youre in a budget. Avoid Asus if you dont like to see tiny flash lights around your screen when playing in a dark room.

About the 2 monitors, luckily i was on the same boat. Took me like a year to make my decision. So i pretty much had enough research about them. I do believe that the Viewsonic is better than the Acer. I’ve read about Acer using newer panel, but that didn’t make any difference from the old one… Probably it was just manufactured later but they add little to nothing as far as i know. But even if Acer use a newer panel, Viewsonic did a better job tweaking their screen making excellent color accuracy and gamma. I always bump into the Viewsonic mentioned having “crystal clear” screen on many videos…

About the appearance, its all subjective, which one fancy you better personally. Though Acer looks better, but i wouldn’t trade it for the better screen quality…

I doubt these monitors will be dated in like 5 years or more from now. Only HDR and OLED will give monitors upgrades. HDR im sure you know about it, search if not. Not many games supports HDR and its not really that big of jump in terms of image. And you’ll be spending a huge cash to get a proper HDR monitor like the new Asus PG27UQ and its 4K,hard to run above 100fps. cheap HDR monitors a.k.a fake HDR are not worth it. OLED will take time so dont worry about that. It’s all about enjoying your games NOW or WAIT for another who knows how many years till a new kind of monitors comes out. You can always sell your monitor though if ever you want a new one right?

do you agree or no with all these things that he said for acer and viewsonic?

I don’t mean to be rude but…

I think we’ve been through this and quite frankly posting the same quotes over and over will get you nowhere.

At some point you will have to make your own decision and live with it. It’s part of life. No-one can know every single monitor so in the end it comes down to looking for reviews and/or just trying your chances. No-one will tell you “buy this” or “buy that” and then be the bad guy because there’s something about it that you don’t like. Those things are always subjective.

As was already stated the panels used are nearly identical, the differences in year to year panel models are marginal at best and won’t be noticeable to 99% of users.

If you really care for colour accuracy you will have to get a calibration device anyway, no monitor is perfectly calibrated. Even 2000$ Thunderbolt Displays that have arguably the best panels for consumer monitors around have slightly off colours and need to be calibrated every few weeks.

That being said, gaming monitors with high frequencies will only get you so far with colour accuracy because you just can’t check all the marks. You just will not find a monitor that has the “perfect” colour accuracy, the “perfect” refresh rate, the “perfect” input lag and the “perfect” look. There will always be something that is slightly off because that’s how the world works.

TL;DR: Make your own decision, noone can (or should) tell you how to live your life.

2 Likes

do you know where i can find forums which does reviews with monitors??

I linked it earlier, rtings does good reviews, they have at least two of the monitors on there and there was a third similar monitor on it. IDK about other sites that do proper tests.

someone told me these things about acer and viewsonic and because my english are not very good

can you tell me please what he means with all these things that he told me??

Don’t discount the AOC AG271QG as a possible alternative.

– The ASUS PG279Q seems to have the worst quality control of these options. As with any model it’s decent enough if you get a good unit and on par with the others. But your odds of that are slightly lower, at least from user feedback I’ve seen.

– The XG2703-GS uses a different variant of the XB271HU‘s panel, but it is of a similar age and generation.

– Most XB271HUs are nicely calibrated and similar to the ViewSonic for overall image quality (and responsiveness). Some are not as well calibrated, gamma is too low regardless of OSD settings. That is what people will be referring to when they say colours aren’t as good. They aren’t, if you get one of those bad units. The AOC, ViewSonic and ASUS are more consistent with their calibration.

Given the above, any of these models can be good if you get a good unit. Performance is then similar and you’re splitting hairs trying to compare them. The ViewSonic and AOC are probably the most consistently good, however.

when he says that ViewSonic and AOC are probably the most consistently good what he means>??

You know what. I don´t know. There is no reason I would necessarily think that is the case. But no one is gonna write you a research paper of the probability of each vendor giving you a higher chance of a good/bad panel. Normal human beings (including myself) buy one of such screens and can´t compare failure rates for you.

I don´t know where you would get statistics for that that you can expect to be accurate.

I got the Asus one 1 3/4 years back in time. Why did I get it? I considered the Acer. But in the end I got the the Asus, because I think it looks better, has a more sane OSD and has better brand image in a sence.

I wasn´t about to write a research paper on my screen choices. My panel is fine (no dead pixels, no bleeding edges). Your milage may vary. Maybe I got lucky. But in the end I could not care less.

Very surprised that within almost 2 years not a whole lot has changed to the point my screen has the very same product number with the asus in your list. Although, something might have changed still over time. It´s appearently nothing worth mentioning, or they would have done so already. Mine wasn´t advertised with 165hz refresh rate, but rather only 144hz. But the 165hz overclock is literally just a check box in the OSD.

because I don’t know a lot of things for ultrawides is it possible to tell me if ultrawides support all the games or some games;;
the most people for pc games what monitor take;.
if I will buy ultrawide monitor will I have problems and issues in most games; or is better to buy one monitor in 16.9?; for to have better compability;
also I am a gamer and I am playing a lot of titles very old and very new titles
I am hardcore gamer
what is your experience from ultrawides monitors; for using them in pc games;
what the most people prefer 21.9 or 16.9 for gaming?
which are the advatages and disavantages from ultrawides monitors
does all the games give the support for ultrawides monitors/;
can you tell me please what is your opinion for the ultrawides monitors??

Newer title support is OK-ish at this point, for older titles you’ll have to live with black space on the left and right.

Depending on the monitor input it is also possible to set an ultrawide up so that it shows as 2 separate monitors in Windows, so you can have 2 “monitors” one one physical monitor. Then you’d be able to put a game on either side and whatever else on the other side. Comes down to personal preference how you set it up. AFAIK this only works when the monitor has 2 physical inputs being used at the same time though, and the monitor firmware has to support it (basically a Side by Side setting).
I have never used one though I am intrigued by the idea, but I refrained from getting one because of support issues. Not every game even works in the first place and even if they do it really depends on the game. Generally competitive games won’t give you any advantage due to wider monitors, so they will scale the FOV and that does induce some headaches for some people. Some games will solve that issue by scaling the image to the width and then cutting off from top and bottom. Some games will scale the rendered graphics but the HUD doesn’t adjust, so it’s stuck in the corners which can be annoying because they are too far apart.

If you’re thinking of Ultrawide I would suggest you look at some at a physical store and ask a store attendant if you can try some games on them, because Ultrawide is even more subjective then even “normal” monitors are.

The same goes for Curved displays in general btw.

so most games new and old will have problems with black space on the left and right and also some games will scale the rendered graphics but the HUD doesn’t adjust??
what the most people prefer 21.9 or 16.9 for gaming?
so ultrawides not worth for all games??

do you be;ieve that every game works in ultrawides?/

and some games which have moded to work in 21.9 does it work corectly??

what monitor you have.??

Hard to say, but this is what Steam says:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Yes basically

You already answered that question in the previous post.

Note sure about mods, that depends on the game and its engine, some engines just don’t work well with oddball resolutions.

I don’t have anything up to date, but if you must know:
https://skinflint.co.uk/588186

Here’s a comprehensive list with the level of support.

http://www.wsgf.org/mgl/uws

All this stuff is out there, it just takes some looking. I am all in on ultrawides personally.

1 Like

in this list are onlyn these games which suport for ultrawides??

because i see that the list is not very big

My guess is that is a list of games that were manually tested, since there is no way to test this automatically.

someone told me these and i dont know if its true
21:9 is generally supported reasonably well these days. Anyone actually with a 21:9 panel is not crying as there are only few instances in which things are not perfect, but normally does not apply to most larger / most played titles these days and in those few instances, work around usually happen fairly quickly. Most 21:9 owners I know are okay with the few games cutscenes being rednered in 16:9 (and even then workarounds may be found by the community) Only people who I see mostly talking about lack of comparability are those who have not really used 21:9 panels. To an extent it was true years ago, not so much these days.

Suffice to say, unless games which your specifically happen to not support the resolution period, then I would have no issues recommending a 21:9 panel, even with the few issues which may crop up now and then (mostly smaller games / cutsenes) When you launch a game like Assasins creed odyssey or Witcher 3 in 21:9, 16:9 will be dead (IMO)
t’s not a 21:9 compatibility issue it’s a game compatibility issue. Stop blaming 21:9.

Overwatch is one example of a game that didn’t support 21:9 because it would give a wider FOV and that’s unfair to 16:9 and 16:10 players. Overwatch has since added 21:9 support but it nerfs your FOV so you are at a disadvantage. So if you want to play Overwatch on a 21:9 monitor properly you have to put the game to 16:9 and have the black bars on the left and right on your screen.

Black Ops 4 has 21:9 support and an unlocked FOV so you can play with 21:9 properly.