Seeking help persuing engineering - advice wanted

Hey there,
as the title reads, I’m looking for advice as I’m close to applying to university.
For a while a deep motive I’ve had is to help progress humanity, and I suppose engineering is the best way to go about doing that. Problem is that engineering has a huge amount of work fields and uncountable amounts of work to be done, making it difficult for me to really know which way i should venture.
Being an Australian, i figured robotics and the such wouldn’t be a good choice for me, as the majority of great advancements in that area seem to be happening in the US. I’m not too sure what fields of engineering is a good choice to be studying in Australia, but fields such as renewable and nuclear energy, agricultural engineering, and potentially even work to improve privacy seem like good candidates for me to go for, despite the political issues that are wedged in the way.
Any advice from people in the industry? Things about where in engineering I could go and what fields and skills are likely to be in need in a not too distant future?
Thanks guys.

What kind of engineering you think you will like ? Agricultural, cyber security, cryptography, electrical, automation and robotics have little in common. Mainly math is required for all of them.

What do you like to do ? Have you tried something?( as in did you try to make a robot or to make a small aquaponics system )

Every engineering specialization is good, you have to decide for yourself what you want to do. About robotics and US you are not entirely correct. Soon it will be everywhere.

Mining is pretty huge in Australia, but probably not the most exciting career, you would likely spend most of your time just translating poor drawings requesting obscure materials & trying to keep together an unholy amount of paperwork so the job passes all the regulations & trace-ability requirements.

I deal with engineers all day in the mining/heavy fabrication industry. Most of them are miserable & stressed out due to dealing with urgent breakdown jobs constantly.

Robotics would be a good choice if you enjoy it, as automation will only increase as technology progresses.

CAD/CAM skills will be even more valuable. An example is redesigning plastic injection molds using 3D metal printing. The 3D printing process allows cooling channels that are impossible to create using traditional machining methods. This can reduce cycle times by 20-30%, which is amazing.

My suggestion is do something that interests you. It is much easier to learn & be good at something you are passionate about.

You reminded me of information I forgot to add in the original post, a huge part of my indecision is that I have no idea what degree leads where. I’ve had a gander at the majors offered by my local universities and the varieties they offer are civil, electrical, mechanical, mining, biomedical, computer, environmental, chemical/materials, with a few more varieties if I were to move to access a different university.
Of that list, the only ones that absolutely do not interest me are civil, mining and computer software (hardware is a maybe). Simply how broad engineering is makes it a difficult decision, seeing as it’s also a major decision.
I should also add that I don’t really have much of a history with engineering, though I did thoroughly enjoy the little chemistry and biology I studied in high school, and -only- quite enjoyed the physics and math. Chemistry was by far my favourite subject in school.
Another thing to note about me, is that I think that I’m very unoriginal. I find difficulties with starting new things especially if there’s any form of open-endedness, and I have some difficulty coming up with unique ideas. Rather, I find much more comfort working with the known and feel satisfied improving on existing things.

Allow me to quote wikipedia.

A scientist is a person engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge that describes and predicts the natural world. In a more restricted sense, a scientist may refer to an individual who uses the scientific method.

Engineers, as practitioners of engineering, are people who invent, design, analyse, build and test machines, systems, structures and materials to fulfill objectives and requirements while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.

Sample engineer workday:

Sample scientist workday:

Maybe you’re a born scientist, I’d need some more information about you personally before I can make a recommendation.

Engineering is an extensive subject, and with so many types of engineering to choose from, it can be difficult to narrow down which one is for you. To help you to decide, you should try and identify what you’re passionate about. What gets you excited, and what do you spend your free time on? All types of engineering include some form of problem-solving (and generally focus on making life easier), but what engineering-related solution gives you the most buzz? If you choose a subject you’re naturally interested in, you’ll find it easier to stay motivated during your course, and stay involved with the subject whilst pursuing an engineering career.
Here’s a rundown of the various branches of engineering, to help you decide which one could be for you.
Aerospace/aeronautical engineering
This branch of engineering deals with the research, design, development, construction, testing, science and technology of aircraft. You could also study astronautical engineering, focusing on spacecraft and the deep conditions of space.
This type of engineering is for you if:
• You’re fascinated by the history and methodology behind flying machines, from the earliest conceptual sketches to the advancement of modern jets.
• You have a keen interest in the mechanics of flight travel.
• You’re intrigued by computer simulation and in seeing how aircraft machinery performs under extreme conditions.
Aeronautical engineering specializations
If you study aeronautical engineering, you could specialize in aerodynamics, aeroelasticity, composites analysis, avionics, propulsion and structures and materials. Find out more here.
Chemical engineering
This type of engineering concerns the use of chemical and biological processes to produce useful materials or substances. It’s a multidisciplinary subject, combining natural and experimental sciences (such as chemistry and physics), along with life sciences (such as biology, microbiology and biochemistry), plus mathematics and economics. Yopu can try different exams like GATE,BARC and IES.
• You have an analytical mindset.
• You’re also considering studying chemistry or another natural/life science.
• You’re interested in the chemical processes behind producing everyday items.
Chemical engineering specializations
If you choose to study chemical engineering, you may like to specialize in chemical reaction engineering, plant design, process engineering, process design or transport phenomena. You can read more about these here.
Civil engineering
Civil engineering is the professional practice of designing and developing infrastructure projects. This can be on a huge scale, such as the development of nationwide transport systems or water supply networks, or on a smaller scale, such as the development of single roads or buildings.
• You’re interested in designing and building things.
• You’re interested in mechanics, hydraulics, geotechnics (using knowledge of the Earth’s crust to solve construction problems), materials science and statistical analysis.
• You’d like to develop your design skills, particularly in computer-aided design.
Civil engineering specializations
Common specializations of civil engineering include structural engineering, architectural engineering, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering and hydraulic engineering. You can read more about these here.
Computer engineering
Computer engineering concerns the design and prototyping of computing hardware and software. This subject merges electrical engineering with computer science, and you may prefer to study computer engineering alongside one of these similar subjects.
• You’re interested in an engineering career related to computers – for example as a software developer or computer engineer.
• You’re interested in mathematics, science and computers, and want to learn more about how computers operate at a physical level.
• You want to produce new products and systems based on the technological advances of computer scientists.
Computer engineering specializations
You may find that computer engineering specializations overlap with those offered in computer science degrees, for example with subjects such as computer graphics and network security. However, specialized subjects generally unique to computer engineering include microprocessor/microcontroller systems, computer architecture and VHDL (hardware description language) design.
Electrical/electronics engineering
Electrical and electronics engineering both focus on applications of electrical power. The two fields differ in that electrical engineers chiefly focus on the large-scale production and supply of electrical power, while electronics engineers focus on much smaller electronic circuits, such as those used in computers.
• You’re interested in how electrical devices and systems work.
• You want to help power the next phase of technological developments.
• You naturally want to understand how any electrical system is set up and have ideas for how it could be improved.
Electrical engineering specializations
You could specialize in the following areas of electrical and electronics engineering: power generation and supply, communications and media, computer systems and robotic systems. You can learn more about these here.
Mechanical engineering
One of the oldest and broadest types of engineering, mechanical engineering is concerned with the design, manufacturing and maintenance of mechanical systems. You’ll study statics and dynamics, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, stress analysis, mechanical design and technical drawing.
This type of engineering is for you if…
• You like fiddling with mechanical devices (you could also consider aeronautical engineering).
• You’re interested in coming up with new and innovative designs in fields such as sustainable energy and artificial intelligence.
• You’re interested in working as part of an interdisciplinary team to develop and improve mechanical technologies.
Mechanical engineering specializations
This is a very broad subject, which overlaps with lots of other types of engineering. However, the most common specializations of mechanical engineering include manufacturing, transportation systems, combustion, nanotechnology and robotics. Mechatronics engineeringmay also be of interest; this combines mechanical and electronic engineering with areas such as computer and control engineering. Read more here.
Engineering management
Another interdisciplinary field, engineering management has grown in recent years, with universities responding to industry demand for management-focused engineers by developing dedicated engineering management programs. These courses combine industrial engineering skills and business expertise, often developed jointly by the engineering and business faculties. You could also study one of the above branches of engineering with management.
• You’re interested in understanding how engineering is applied within different types of business, and the challenges involved in both technical and organizational terms.
• You want to quickly take on a managerial role, while also applying your technical knowledge.
• You want to oversee the development, manufacture, marketing and distribution of products.
Engineering management specializations
This is another broad area, but types of engineering management that you may like to specialize in include: engineering mathematics, management science, operations management, decision engineering, business statistics and engineering statistics. You can read more here.

Glad you want to contribute to the forums.

Things to consider before replying:
Last reply - Nov '17
OP - last Seen Nov 28, '17

1 Like

The advice and your well put comment is much appreciated @bryan36422.

However as @SudoSaibot said, OP is long gone. And this thread is more then 4 months. We do have some rules in place about necro. As a result the thread will be locked.

By the way, you have offered great advice and insight on the area of engineering . It would be wise to create your own thread about engineering and your knowledge of it. I can see many people benefiting from it.

2 Likes