Security News Ticker

https://www.cisa.gov/news/2020/08/05/cisa-releases-new-cyber-career-pathways-tool

2 Likes

PRC (mainland china) blocking Encrypted-SNI in

mentioned in News thread, and in the ISC stormcast for 2020-08-10

Source collection

Date Author Article
2020-08-07 Kevin Bock;
iyouport;
Anonymous;
Merino, Louis-Henri;
Fifield, David;
Houmansadr, Amir;
Levin, Dave
Exposing and Circumventing China’s Censorship of ESNI Great Firewall Report
2020-08-08 Cimpanu, Catalin China is now blocking all encrypted HTTPS traffic that uses TLS 1.3 and ESNI ZDNet
2020-08-11 China now blocking ESNI-enabled TLS 1.3 connections, say Great-Firewall-watchers Register

PDF vulnerabilities tested across multiple programs

Portable Document Flaws 101 presentation by Jens Müller at Blackhat
There is now an associated GitHub repo; see the readme file for an overview comparison table:

Microsoft Download Center removed SHA-1 signed content

“Microsoft will retire content that is Windows-signed for Secure Hash Algorithm 1 (SHA-1) from the Microsoft Download Center on August 3, 2020.”

older news (2020-07-29), but potentially has large effects; are these downloads entirely impossible to find now?

Source collection

Date Author Article
2020-07-28 Namrata_Bachwani (Microsoft Tech Community) SHA-1 Windows content to be retired August 3, 2020 Microsoft
2020-07-29 Cimpanu, Catalin Microsoft to remove all SHA-1 Windows downloads next week ZDNet
2 Likes

One of these was particularly useful, thanks.

1 Like

Interesting info on the tor network being used to target Bitcoin users.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it.

Maybe if we get into a more consistent rhythm and format for posting, we should turn this into a meta/discussion thread, and fork off a more formal Ticker thread, which links here for posting formatting/rules. Maybe not yet though, this doesn’t see quite enough activity to warrant that yet.

Regarding formatting

For the time being I will still be a bit inconsistent when I post; I am still trying to sort out how best to format this sort of stuff.

We are obviously being less formal than the dump thread, where only links, onebox, or onebox-equivalent content is acceptable, but I very much like the idea of linking to more than only one source; however, once you have multiple sources, the redundant oneboxes become a hindrance to readability. The news-dump thread model is clearly best for single-source, one onebox per story posting.

I suppose the ideal would be to have the primary sources first, followed by all the secondaries, but the onebox of a secondary source does usually give an overview, that the primary source may be lacking.

As seen above I have tried a raw list of sources with a brief description, but that is far more time intensive, and I am not sure I could keep it up.

I should also note that the News-dump thread’s archiving policy is really bad for links, as it breaks either the links to the post, or the cached link-back from the news-dump post.

Yeah, as with the first post. This was a way for people to quickly drop in links to new security topics and emerging security issues without the need to spend time on it (as usually we got stuff to do at the time of finding a new piece of security info). So the idea being anything that gained further discussion can have a new topic created from it (of which there are a couple here).

Obviously its a slow thread (I even forget to update it sometimes as im often doing something about what I find and forget), so participation welcome. Id would be good to get a good source collection here of incoming up to date security info.

You can ‘disable’ one boxes by putting a space before the link (I might add that to the top post.)

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

News dump crosslink

3 Likes

Can’t look at the article because my German internet is currently not behaving.
Let me just say “Bild” is the least trustworthy of all newspapers in Germany.

Mentioned in 2020-08-21 ISC Stormcast. News thread crosslink

My understanding is that DW and ZDF are respectively the external and internal public broadcasters for Germany, together akin to a BBC (UK), PBS (US), ABC (AU), or TVNZ (NZ). I assumed DW reporting on it was a sufficient mark of credibility to post here.

1 Like

That is correct.

Also: The BWFuhrparkService was really attacked, does not seem to be anything critial according to Tagesschau.de ← article in German only

News dump crosslink

3 Likes

News dump crosslink

5 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

View upcoming Summits: http://www.sans.org/u/DuS