Searching on this forum

Can’t there be an index? Like
RX580 -> Issues
RX580 -> Drivers -> Proprietary / Mesa / Vulkan / Proton
RX580 -> Pass-through
RX580 -> Other

RX590 ^
Geforce 1060 ^

Etc. Because right now, I’m new here and this is damn! I don’t even know where to begin, and this is supposed to be the best way to learn how to fix some stuff with Linux, as I have come to understand.

Honestly using google to search is probably your best bet the local search is only so good even with filters.

While a system like that would be granular not sure its really need the RX570 drives issues/passthrough etc would all be similar thus making it more complicated at the same time.

If people tag the topic you can search that way as well.

Google does have a super good search of this forum.

if I cant find something using the built in search function I usually turn to google with a search modifier like inurl:level1techs.com which should only return this site.

I’d imagine creating a separate category for each product would get annoying fast. Maybe tags, but even that.

I can’t help it that people tend to be really damn lazy when it comes to the structure of the systems they build, I know of hundreds of forums that I have just left because I get tired of using external search methods etc. I want it to be as easy as going into a menu on AMD’s site. Do people really want normal Windows people to start using Linux… Really? If it is so, then it’s probably time to think of a future proofing structure too. This way older posts can be archived easier, because In 20 years maybe 1 person on earth needs a walk-through no how to passthrough a nVidia 1080. If even so many, since the tech is getting easier and easier for non-linux people to use, and using google is not future proofing, Windows was built upon a operating system, that corp is digging it’s own grave at the moment with Windows 10, They should make a new version of Windows and de-bloat the next rev. so that it’s closer to the feel of Seven.

You know you can have the forum create pin posts like this.

AMD -> Pass-through -> Standard GO
AMD -> Pass-through -> Issues & Fixes -> RX 5700
AMD -> Drivers -> Standard GO
AMD -> Drivers -> Issues & Fixes -> Posts -> [ARCH LINUX][RX 5700] Etc.
AMD -> Other Issues -> Posts -> [ARCH LINUX][RX 5700][OC] Etc.

Same for nVidia.

I personally dislike when you have to rely on other systems to be there for you, sure a forum can be updated and they sometimes die off, and in the way that Linux is heading, perhaps it’s going to be a help database within the OS in the future. Instead of having to use the browser and ‘googling’ for everything. There isn’t even a commands application for new users to go through in the beginning, it’s like all the Linux ppl missed out on the availability of the distros now and that they are actually doing an impact on the ‘knockoff’ systems Windows and Mac. (windowsnap was from a Linux innovation for ex. but do you think windows users know that? They think that Windows invented operating systems and that linux is all coding and text… )

When people ask me to ghost computers, I always install an easy to use OS, so it’s been Ubuntu, but since the whole gNome 3.x it’s been KDE based systems, but they usually have some darn problems with the internet wifi manager every time, so now it’s Linux Mint, then I install teamviewer, and if they have problems, they call me and I show them how to fix it directly, if I can. Have been looking in to Zorin OS lately though.

Damn that was really off topic, sorry about that.

Please forgive me, But I suspect that if this is true, you are expecting too much of community projects…

1 Like

Even if it’s only tags, it’s better then adding in a new system, and if you can make everyone add the tags for the search, then It’s a community effort. ;D

I don’t really think it’s that annoying, I use tagging as much as possible, in order to find my own posts when I so rarely interact with a forum. Usually

[PRODUCT][TOPIC][SPECIFICATION] I have a discord in swedish though, I am going to make a library for a lot of information, but in order to add in the information, I also have to find it, so I told everyone adding something to also tag it in their comment.

[WHEN-WHAT-WHERE-FROM_FOR]
EX. [25JAN2020-MEDIA-SWEDEN-SRP3_LEGALISATION-DEBATE]
So when I search for Media, I will get ALL media posts on the discord and I can add it to the archive as a copy for the future. It’s a work in progress and right now I’m a bit low on energy.

If it were to be used here.
[AMD-RX580-PASSTHROGUH-ISSUE][NOT FIXED] and when the issue is fixed, just change the title to [FIXED]. If people are lazy or not in pasting the solution to the question, that’s up to them.

-How do I make a Directory? [NOT SOLVED]
-mkdir and the route added for where you want it.
ex. mkdir ~/Downloads/NotDone
-Aha Thanks!

-How do I make a Directory? [Solved]
Thanks to xxxxxxx I got it!
“mkdir & path” - Link to solution.
[THREAD LOCKED]

I do see the Solution checkmarker, on the bottom, so I am going to check how that works here.

This is a forum not a Stack Exchange. It’s annoying to keep track of products and add all the categories for them.

Community projects? Humans are part of it all, I might have to much faith in humans overall, equality all in all. I keep forgetting that I do not think like others and I do try to think about it, but still forget it. Maybe the ‘smart’ people are right about IQ levels on people, I personally do not like the idea of how that is explained or even thought of. Everyone are as smart as the other, we only have different interests and experiences, that make us associate faster or slower, that is the only difference. That is why I hold faith in people, and always will.

Annoying? Nah your just lazy and don’t think of others, just yourself. Otherwise you would had loved the idea of helping others find the answers faster in the future. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I really do dislike google, so much that I try to exclude them in everything, but my phone is spyware free at least. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: haha

DDG.gg can search the forum if you are still unsatified with the built in search.

[Edit: never mind. you don’t appear to have stopped by for a conversation, so I’ll leave you to your devices]

Perhaps, but I don’t like google and try to support them as little as possible, they are hoarders, they pick up innovation, tries to make money of it and kicks it out the door whence they have tarnished it’s reputation, it’s the same thing with stream gaming now, they will probably destroy that kind of services for the future all because of greed.

Con. I like Zenversations, that is listening and none trying to hassle the other for rep, and I’m always straight forward, if you can’t handle that, then it’s your personal problem for adding a filter on me. I am very open for discussion, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there, exactly as you wanted to get your thoughts out to whomever reads it.

DDG.gg, I will save that and try that. Thanks.

I am definitely too lazy to help entitled and self-important persons, who don’t want to just use Google, and are asking for others to put in work with no clear benefit for said others.

thaaats enough of that.

1 Like

The problem with your idea is the limitations of discourse.

It doesnt work like this… There can only ever be a category and a subcategory. So 2 layers of depth so to speak. There are tags which could be used to help but I believe there are issues with search functions and tags.

Your best bet to understand what discord and and cant do is actually to spin one up for yourself. Its not very hard at all. Then once you get a feel for how it might be better you could check out meta.discourse.com to see if the devs are interested in that ideal (fair warning I dont think they will be).

I’m not asking anything, I said that, the way I was thinking would probably be a better structure for future proofing. What you see in others are actually yourself. Why? Because we use our personal perception and associations in order to comprehend what others write. Do not try to out others, when it’s based upon your own view or limitations.

Me stating that you were lazy, is a truth since you took it in and tried to outdo it by calling me entitled and self-important. Everyone are important, and what I question, will be questioned by others. If I’m the only one that knows where and how to get the information, then, I will have to use more time to guide others. It’s more work for you now, but you aren’t doing it for me, you are doing it for every generation that are capable of using this service in the future, this is a way to future proofing a structure, so that It will be able to work longer without needing a new revision later on. If 300 people write about the same thing with 300 different titles, then the servers have to work harder and more time is also used and more data is used and stored, meaning the forum will get bloated sooner or later.

Search for “He who” in the bible or something and see how many of those there are.

Don’t judge based upon what you think, it’s our actions that creates us.

You base it on the limits that you were raised upon. More sub-cathegories can be made easily on a forum if it’s a dedicated programmer re-writing or adding code, so the limitations are actually if or if not, there is a programmer.

I found multiple bugs and problems with discord using it, I’m not the one that creates 1 voice and 3 text channels, I made one so easy in my thoughts that everyone stopped using it, If I can’t get the limitations fixed, then I create a work around, and I did. I have multiple discord servers that are unused because I had to learn the limitations and then work with it.

It’s always interesting to talk to developers, and most of the people that I have been talking to usually do like my ideas, because I usually think in simplicity and how to make something more effective. The one thing with how I think though is that I have to be an active admin for all my projects, well not my gaming discord, it is it’s own self-working environment now, boringly enough.

Thanks for the link! I will check it out after the LEVEL1 video I’m watching. ^^