Seagate drive failure (what a surprise /s)

Okay, so All Drives Die (I managed to get an episode thusly named on techshap :slight_smile: )
But who here thinks going for longer warranty drives is worth the "investment" / "insurance" of paying more for a drive with a longer warranty, rather than saving money in the short term, and hoping the drive will outlive it's warranty period by more than double?

I ask this as most of the HDD's I have have lived far FAR beyond their warranty, but my SSD's have been hit and miss.

Oh, and Necro for the Necro god? :slight_smile:

Depends on the use-case (and cost) I guess. For home-use I don't see the point since they are (usually) not remotely stressed enough to die withing warranty. If you're stressing them a lot and expect them to die in the warranty period (using them in a way that is covered by warranty of course) it might be worth it since you get a replacement drive. If that replacement is new, refurbished, or even of the same model is a different story.

Stressing a desktop drive in a data-centre is (as far as I know at least) not covered under warranty, so doing that wouldn't be smart idea, however stressing a data-centre drive to the point in fails under warranty might as well be worth it.

I don't know about that, their 2tb FireCuda SSHDs are kinda hard to passup. I will have that as an upgrade over my two 1tb WD Blue.

Its hard to say.

I have had cheap seagate hard drives last eons, and really fancy WD drives die with in a month. And vice versa.

I personally think that the standard seagate baracuda drives and the WD blue drives are just fine. At the very least I have not seen the need to go to a more enterprise grade drive.

And furthermore, the more expensive drives can easily cost twice as much as the cheaper ones. Meaning that you could easily get two cheaper drives and set them up in raid 1 to give you a safety net.

Nah, I beg to differ. I have 4 computers in my house: 2 desktops using multiple drives and 2 laptops. One of my laptops and both desktops both contain Seagate HDD/SSHD's. One of the laptops and both of the desktops also contain WD drives. I say all that to say this: unless you done your fair research regarding the quality of the drive for the application in use and whether or not you purchased the drive 2nd-hand has a lot to do w/ the drive's longevity. I can't sit here quietly while you bash a company whose products are as comparative to its competitors. Just b/c u had a bad experience doesn't make the manufacturer terrible. I'd suggest u do your due diligence before the next time u buy a new drive.