Seagate drive failure (what a surprise /s)

yeah, just taking off the PCB would be an option too I guess, my bad :smiley: It's just a guess really. Since it's not even showing up in the UEFI my guess is that it's either not talking to the SATA Controller in general (because dead), or it recognized that the drive is dead for whatever reason and won't handshake. There's no way I could say for sure :stuck_out_tongue:

I have had more problems with Western Digital than any other person on the planet. All they do is explode on me. I don't get 6 months out of the fucking things.

Seagate, however, never die. I have IDE drives from 98 still spinning in 24/7 machines that I put back into use 4 or 5 years ago. No problems whatsoever.

1 Like

never had a wd die on me and i have old ide drives lying around and around 10-20 pounds of old ide and newer sata dead seagates

1 Like

Why Dont Buy Segate? It was predictable when it was going to die, isnt that a good thing not bad. Also no drive will last forever I have gotten DOA WD Red drives so its not like any brand is immune to issues.

3 Likes

On a sidenote: This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Everyone gets different experiences with those things... Unless you have hundreds of drives spinning there's no way to say which is better... and don't refer to the Backblaze statistics, those are nowhere near of what you'd get at home for a single drive.

3 Likes

it was predictable because all the other seagates died. smart said is was perfectly fine.

@mihawk90 https://forum.level1techs.com/t/seagate-hard-drives-good-or-bad/92573
im not going to have this discussion again when we still have the original and i need to take apart some drives.

Did you order them all at the same time from one vendor? I mean that is not good practice, usually you want to vary the vendor so you can get different batches. What were you using to look at smart data?

Probably the built in windows utility.

Doesn't all hard drives, regardless of their brands die eventually? My 500 GB Seagate external hard drive died on me a month ago. It was annoying but i wasn't mad I used it for more than 5 years. Manage to backup everything before it died. So all good.

BTW How old was the drive?

1 Like

over 2 years under 3 and yes eventually. see other thread.

That's hmmm shorter than what I expected. Well at least the warranty should still be covered. 3 years for Seagate. I think.

seagate changed the 5 year warranty to 1 year on the barracuda series because they knew that they were shit.

What? Thats news to me. I knew they changed 5 years to 3 years so they changed it again? 1 year warranty? Is that even possible why would anyone even buy a harddrive with 1 year warranty that is such a dead giveaway.

i have never purchased a seagate myself but as the family IT guy i get to deal with them dying, and got a few as presents over the years. i guess they thought it was a good brand? or just looked at the price tag and didnt think. idk.

I love how 1 persons bad exp = entire brand is garbage. Gotta love that logic.

2 Likes

Every manufacturer has bad runs, check warranty length and balance value on entire value of drive. Also note if you only use 1 drive for important stuff your not doing it right.

3 Likes

every Seagate product i've owned has been shite, so i guess we're just both bad luck. or they're shite. i'm going with shite.

1 Like

HGST is owned by WD now

Surprisingly HGST still has better reliability than WD for whatever reason, even post acquisition.

Toshiba has HGST's former desktop 3.5" stuff and they are doing fairly well too.